Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Red Spot Jr. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Red Spot Jr.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol, we will tell them about the price of gas, or, since we'll be quite senile (sp?) by then we can tell them how great Bush II was for our ruler.

The dunes don't seem very exciting though, compared to Jr anyway.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand why they sped up the end of the video. I'd think if anything that'd be the part we'd want to see more of. Also all the beeping and flashing confuses my tiny cave-man brain. Neat science though.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the zips and zings apparently correspond to some instrument or readout or something, but I certainly haven't been able to decode them, despite the instructions provided.

And is the end of it sped up? More so than the rest, I mean? I don't think the batteries lasted all that long once it got to the surface. Wikipedia has this to say:
quote:
The main mission phase was a parachute descent through Titan's atmosphere. The batteries and all other resources were sized for a Huygens mission duration of 153 minutes, corresponding to a maximum descent time of 2.5 hours plus at least 3 additional minutes (and possibly a half hour or more) on Titan's surface. The probe's radio link was activated early in the descent phase, and the orbiter "listened" to the probe for the next 3 hours, including the descent phase, and the first thirty minutes after touchdown. Not long after the end of this three-hour communication window, Cassini's high-gain antenna (HGA) was turned away from Titan and toward Earth.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
second paragraph:
The almost four-hour-long operation of the camera is shown in less than five minutes. That's 40 times the actual speed up to landing and 100 times the actual speed thereafter.

I guess after it landed there wouldn't be all that much to see. (except when that terrible space monster came by and poked it with a stick)
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah, reading!
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And on the newest planetary science front...

Three new planets found around sun-like star

Three medium-sized planets of roughly the same mass as Neptune have been discovered around a nearby sun-like star, scientists announced today.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool! Unfortunately, I think they're all too close to the star to support human life. But I do find it interesting that they think the two inner planets are rocky planets similar to Mercury, yet they're the mass of Neptune. Those are some big boulders!

B.J.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So when do we get that array telescope out near Jupiter so we can actually SEE these planets!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just as soon as Bush's "science" advisors finish wrestling with the theological and philosophical implications of looking too closely at the crystal spheres of the Firmament.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think what they mean is that the worlds are LIKE Mercury, in that they are rocky planets with no real atmospheres due to their proximity to their star (Mercury has an orbital period of 88 days). We can't tell their size - only their mass, but if they weigh in like Neptune, they're gonna be bloody big rocky worlds... Much larger than Earth, which is the largest rocky planet around here.

And seeing these planets will be pretty well impossible. We can't see Mercury directly because it's too close to OUR sun. We'll have to improve our telescopic capability a LOT in order to see something far closer to a star forty light years away!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
I think what they mean is that the worlds are LIKE Mercury, in that they are rocky planets with no real atmospheres due to their proximity to their star (Mercury has an orbital period of 88 days). We can't tell their size - only their mass, but if they weigh in like Neptune, they're gonna be bloody big rocky worlds... Much larger than Earth, which is the largest rocky planet around here.

Isn't that what I said? [Roll Eyes]
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems so, but we won't tell Mark.

We really do need faster space travel. Even an umanned probe travelling near c could yield some cool pics in a decent amount of time. I'd be dead, probably my kid too, but his kids could see them.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So's your face!

I just can't get used to posting in this forum... Back to Tech I go!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

http://www.eso.org/outreach/press-rel/pr-2006/pr-18-06.html
quote:
The newly found planets have minimum masses between 10 and 18 times the mass of the Earth. Extensive theoretical simulations favour an essentially rocky composition for the inner planet, and a rocky/gas structure for the middle one. The outer planet has probably accreted some ice during its formation, and is likely to be made of a rocky/icy core surrounded by a quite massive envelope. Further calculations have also shown that the system is in a dynamically stable configuration.

The outer planet also appears to be located near the inner edge of the habitable zone, where liquid water can exist at the surface of rocky/icy bodies. Although this planet is probably not Earth-like due to its heavy mass, its discovery opens the way to exciting perspectives.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

1st of a double post, oops.

As Paul has said,

Page 3

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps