Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Our hero is born!

Author Topic: Our hero is born!
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All hail James Tiberius Kirk!!

(Sort of.)

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel very sorry for that kid... he's going to have a very rough time in grade school!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many kids get their middle names used in grade school? Most people will only ever know that he's James Weldy.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless his parents mention it to the world in a news article...oh wait!
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because you know, kids at school all look for news articles about each other.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be surprised if the majority of kids weren't googling each other and hunting down the Myspace pages of friends and enemies.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, it's quite possible that in a few years, if he does tell his friends who he's named after, they'll say "Who the hell is that?"
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I'd be surprised if the majority of kids weren't googling each other and hunting down the Myspace pages of friends and enemies.

And is a five+ year old news article going to even be available?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Boh:
And is a five+ year old news article going to even be available?

Surely you must be joking. The very first web page ever made is still up and accessible. Even if the address changes, the content is still there and infinitely copyable, and can further be found by any search engine. As long as some random hard drive crash doesn't remove the only remaining copy of some file, it's likely to remain in existence forever.

And of course, there's also The Internet Archive, whose primary goal is to preserve old versions of websites for posterity.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Yeah, but are the sites with those articles going to keep them up for that long? Most articles I've seen while looking at Google Trends are down, and many of those are quite a bit more important than "Parents give kid name of TV character"

Yes I guess there will be ways to find the information, but it won't be easy to stumble on it by accedent.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously, this child's destiny will be to someday have a fight to the death with Optimus Prime.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A.) This is all, of course, silly.

B.) Digital media are notoriously terrible for archival purposes. Consider.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Optimus Prime article made me laugh so hard I cried.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps