Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Kidnapped girl watched Star Trek (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Kidnapped girl watched Star Trek
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/09/11/austria.kidnap.ap/index.html

The kidnapped Austrian teen who spent more than eight years in a windowless cell said she asked for classic children's books during her first months in captivity, and later watched Star Trek and other videos, according to a newspaper.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Fulgrim
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Fulgrim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure what to say about that!
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other than that Paramount's conditional training is turning out fine.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the more serious side, I increasingly get the impression that this girl is royally screwed up. She's been giving conflicting reporst since she escaped... For example, if she thought of nothing but escape the whole time (her words), why did she not try at any time until her actual escape? Could she not have bolted once when he took her for drives to get stuff? Or when he was away and she was alone cleaning the house? What's wrong with smashing a window to escape?

Granted, I've never been INTENTIONALLY tied up against my will, but you still gotta wonder what ELSE is going on in her head.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well from what I read in this article , she was allowed to leave her captor's house on occasion. I mean I know the guy would be with her, but come on. She's in a museum and she couldn't have escaped.
Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one EVER escapes the MUSEUM!!! *sinister music*

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he promised to kill her family if she tried it, then staying got to be normal, I could kind of understand.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The BBC (I think) had the text of an interview with her online, and it was profoundly weird.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Granted, I've never been INTENTIONALLY tied up against my will..."

But you've been accidentally tied up against your will?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20368418-2703,00.html

What I meant was "a news source that probably also carries cricket scores."

quote:
When asked what things annoyed her the most, she said: �Things that simply are untrue, like the abuse... above all, I�m annoyed about the pictures of my dungeon, because it is nobody�s business. I also would not look into the living rooms and bedrooms of other people. Why should people be able to open up a newspaper and look into my room?

�I will perhaps write a book about myself, or perhaps not, but I don�t want anyone to pretend to be an expert about my life. And I do want to be an actress, but I�m not thinking Hollywood. My mum always told me that when I grow up I�ll be on the Burg.� (Famous Austrian theatre)

Anyway, not the most unpleasant Star Trek-in-the-media moment this year.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's not like we don't have our own example of that here....

[Roll Eyes]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:::raises half a brow:::

Don't make me get technical & legal with you, Chumley.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"Granted, I've never been INTENTIONALLY tied up against my will..."

But you've been accidentally tied up against your will?

Everybody has "those" dates: leave the boy alone.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
On the more serious side, I increasingly get the impression that this girl is royally screwed up. She's been giving conflicting reporst since she escaped...
Hey, people who stand witness to crimes that in no way touch them give self-conflicting reports. We all tell what people want to hear, and are very good at adapting the story to the needs of the situation - that's a cornerstone in how we as a species have managed to survive till the ripe old age of almost a geological split-second.

Even a ten-year-old never tells the truth if she can figure out which lie the adults want to hear, trust me (because I'm over ten, honestly). Or, if asked twice, she'll change her answer, thinking the first one was incorrect because it was not accepted. And acceptance would be a fairly big thing for somebody in Kamputsch's situation.

Speaking of which, googling for that third-most popular thing after football and celebrity sex scandals, namely American crime history... It seems to be pretty standard for young kidnap victims to think escape impossible even in public situations. Or especially in public situations.

Anybody think this must have been the most decent kidnapper in the entire history of kidnapping? Down to the swift suicide and all?

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No- the most decent kidnappers are tyhe ones that think they're saving the child from bad parents and treat the kid well.
No dungeons or anything.
The "swift suicide" sure saves on messy public court cases and saves the victim from having to re-live the whole thing several times: bravo suicide guy!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps