Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Airless Wheel

Author Topic: Airless Wheel
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ran across THIS little invention. Crazy.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice, and the centaur was nice too. Finally a segway that looks kind of cool.

Seems a bit scary if the rubber making out all those little spoke strings would dry up and rip on the freeway, though.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now merge this technology with Franco Sbarro's hubless wheel, and we've got something cool...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This does not bode well for the action movie.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How am I supposed to slash tires now?

In all seriousness, it looks okay, but I'm also concerned about what they're *not* telling us. What will fatigue do to those "spokes"? The manufacturing costs have got to be a lot higher. And since it's a lot different from a conventional tire, you probably need a new machine to install them on the rims. Other than not having to worry about a flat, I'm not seeing much of an advantage here.

Oh, and the police will have to find something other than stop strips to stop vehicles.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bombs. On second thoughts, sod stingers (tyre slashers, not missiles), just blow them up any way. That will dramaticaly reduce re-offending rates.

The idea (a tweel! oh funny) of a solid wheel that actualy works like a pnumatic wheel is an excelent idea, and (as long as the prices are low) will probably be a very apealing option to organisations like police forces etc.

I don't however think that a high price will mean that you rarely see them on the road however, for exactly the same reason you see a shitload of bastards driving their brand new Range Rover - wankers with enough money to think "Fuck the rest, I'm rich. Look at me in my huge car which draws attention away from my tiny penis". It's that or Small Woman Syndrome.

The only down side - chavs won't be able to fit 20" alloys to their Vauxhall Astras. No, wait, I can't see a down side.

I wonder what sort of life you get out of them, or what sort of grip you get. Form the film, the road handling seemed OK, but nothing too taxing.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Hot Wheels had airless tires for a long time. Interesting that technology is now scaled upward.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps