Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Webcams

Author Topic: Webcams
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need one.

My existing Sony one is 5 years old, and has done sterling service. Plus it's designed to clip on a notebook screen, so using a USB 1.1 device through a 1.1 USB extension cable into a USB 2 hub, combined with my crummy graphics card, means the picture is rubbish compared with what my brother gets from the built-in cam on his Macbook. The fact that the only chat program we could find that would work cross-platform was Yahoo! Messenger (MSN Messenger cam still doesn't work 'twixt PC and Mac, and AOL IM insisted that a firewall was blocking it) didn't help.

But it's so confusing! All the products available. . . I don't know what to look for. A trawl of the pcworld.co.uk (under PC peripherals, Webcams, wired) site produces 25 results: Logitech, Creative, Microsoft Lifecam, Philips, and Advent.

What features do I want? Built-in microphone isn't necessarily essential since I got a nice one for a Father's Day present this year. The only other experience I have with webcams is a Creative one that we used where I worked for hidden security camera, and had a motion-detector that quite impressed me - but, again, not really an essential feature.

I've seen some quite impressive (quality-wise) webcam footage on YouTube and, er, other places. I guess I'm looking for something that'll produce that sort of quality. Any suggestions?

(I won't necessarily buy it from PC World, either, it's just that my preferred supplier ebuyer.com is blocked at work)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've long since given up on making sense on our web-access policy. Now I CAN view ebuyer.com - this is the one I'm thinking of. . . http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/100897

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't click the link but is that 'eye-tracking' webcam still "cool" - I remember seeing a demonstration video on either google video or youtube a few months ago. Looked interesting.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew : Is this what you're thinking of?

[ October 19, 2006, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: TSN ]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah that was it.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is for your "tease" site, right?
Admit it, you attention whore.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps