Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Town bans foreign flags (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Town bans foreign flags
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Nevada town of Pahrump is taking a stand not just against illegal immigrants but flags they may bring with them. The elected town board in the remote Mojave Desert community voted 3-2 on Tuesday to enact an ordinance making it illegal to fly a foreign nation's flag by itself.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A court will strike it down as unconstitutional since apparently Pahrump has never heard of the First Amdenment.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now is the perfect time to outfit my car with millions of Canadian flags and park it in Pahrump's town square.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this town actually exists. Ironically enough it was just featured in "Studio 60," in which the characters make a running gag of the comically unlikely name.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I first heard of it in "Mars Attacks".
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always been taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. And I've tried and tried but I can't come up with a response that won't offend any American posters here. And it vexes me so.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, just post it for fuck's sake. I lived in Vegas, and Pahrump was often the butt of local jokes -- pun unavoidable.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Da_bang80
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, If you insist.

I can't fucking believe what's become of the United Fucking States of Fucking America. I'm sickened and discusted by the actions of the US government. And of the US media (Borat anyone?)

Ok, I just read an article about that sick diseased excuse for a movie. Did you know that Fox paid the villagers in Khazaktan (sp?) between $3 and $5 to let a bunch of animals into thier houses so they can defacate on the floor? They taped a sex toy to the amputated stump of a poor old man. They told the villagers of a small Romanian hamlet that they were doing a documentary when all they were doing is making a comedy movie at thier expense. Just so you can get your fucking jollies! Anyone who watches that movie is a sick twisted racist son of a bitch who deserves to eat month old cow feces for the rest of thier lives. Fox made millions with Borat and they did it by abusing and decieving people who are so poor they don't even have running water or safe food. I hope someone at Fox gets his head cut off.

And I'm going to delve into the polluted waters of the Immigration reform now. Mass arrests/deportations of illegal immigrants? I thought America was built by immigrants? And arresting foreign nationals based on thier country of origin, holding them without due cause, torturing them, and imprisoning them without access to a lawyer or a trial? You have all the makings of a fascist state people. How long before Bush decides Canada is a member of the Axis of Evil and decides that we're better off as an American conquest?

I'd say I don't blame the general American population for this, but I do. You know why? Because YOU elected these monstrous, despicable men to your government. I hope your fucking happy.

--------------------
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you link to credible evidence for the Borat stuff - or is it a case of trying to cash in. What would have happened if it was a straight-to-video movie? Do those people still try and suck money out of the movie producers?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't feel like hunting down the Borat stuff right before going to bed, but it's been in the news over the last few days. Straight-to-video? Just the same, I expect. The writing was amusing, but what the producers perpetrated on people in other countries to make their movie was horribly demeaning and uncalled-for.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"voted 3-2". Does that just mean that this story is about 3 silly people in an equally silly town?

At least they are aware that there are in fact other countries outside Fart-City.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one has pointed out that those three were elected officials, so the mean only 3/5ths of the town is fucked.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like I'm a sick twisted racist son of a bitch who deserves to eat month old cow feces for the rest of my life.

I watched the Borat movie after enjoying his segments in Ali G in da USA. I didn't know about the wages of pittence given to extras in it until after seeing it. I did wonder how on Earth they filmed those scenes when I was watching it, but naively I thought maybe they'd built a set for the village.

Anyway, watching the film doesn't make me racist or prejudiced towards any other minorities. The film subverts such views by showing how ludicrous they are. There's a scene where a man at a rodeo tells Borat to shave his moustache off so he'll look Italian, or anything that isn't Arab. He goes on to say that they're trying to have gay people hung in America. That's not the audience or Fox or Sacha Baron Cohen being racist, that's a racist member of the public being exposed and being made a mockery of. Anyone with half a brain who's watching it will be disgusted by him. Watching the film doesn't make anyone a sick twisted son of a bitch, but thanks for the generalisation. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Da_bang80
Member # 528

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Can you link to credible evidence for the Borat stuff - or is it a case of trying to cash in. What would have happened if it was a straight-to-video movie? Do those people still try and suck money out of the movie producers?

I didn't read it off a website. I read it in The Globe and Mail at the Starbucks yesterday.

To Johnny: Sorry for generalizing, but I just think the creators of that movie are terrible human beings.

[ November 17, 2006, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Da_bang80 ]

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys know that Sacha Baron Cohen is English, not American, right?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps