Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » NASA still hunting for Mars-exploring workhorse

Author Topic: NASA still hunting for Mars-exploring workhorse
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NASA's best effort to find a missing Mars space probe failed Monday night, as scientists at the space agency began to lose hope for the 10-year-old planet-mapping workhorse.

After more than two weeks of silence from the Mars Global Surveyor, NASA will make other tries, but scientists began to sound resigned Tuesday.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd think NASA would have installed some sort of GPS device in all their shit- that way any lost probe or rover could eventually be found by later missions.

I was reading that the two super-rovers will eventually die from dust build-up on their solar arrays...almost makes it worthwhile to have a third rover sent with a big can of compressed air.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That article wasn't written very well. They probably know exactly WHERE it is, they just can't communicate with it anymore. And spotting it with the MRO was an outside shot anyway. It's likely they were trying to see if they could see *why* they couldn't communicate, like a jammed solar array or something.

As for the rovers, Spirit was starting to noticeably slow down from dust buildup a while back, but something (probably a dust devil) wiped it practically clean, so it got a new lease on life.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
You'd think NASA would have installed some sort of GPS device in all their shit...

You do know that GPS relies on a network of 24 satellites in very precise orbits, right? Which I'm assuming was a fairly difficult thing to achieve around our own planet.

I do wonder whether they may have lost it's position. Seems we've lost quite a few out that way. There might be a fun project reclaiming these lost probes and figuring what might have gone wrong. Though I'd love to see a manned Mars expedition, it does give one pause.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, while it sucks to lose a spacecraft unexpectedly, it HAD fulfilled its initial science mission years ago - the satellite was still active and providing valuable data, but the primary objectives they sent it there for were acheived.

I believe they were thinking of purposefully crashing the MGS when they finally ran out of fuel, to they could record what it excavates when it hits via the other satellites. Too bad they won't be able to do that.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They got a faint signal telling them it was in safe mode because of a problem with the solar pannels, and then lost it, and tried to get another satelite to photograph it to see if it was pointing at the sun but failed.

So it sounds like like B.J. is right on the button.

That said, Mark's right too, I mean it's been there 11 years and finished it primary mission nearly 7 years ago, so I reckon they got their money out of it!

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps