Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » EverQuest... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: EverQuest...
Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Dani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are any of you guys playing it? I just bought the game last week, and haven't had time to really start playing until two days ago. Now I'm completely hooked.

Never heard of it? Me sum up...Everquest is an RPG (Dungeons & Dragon-esque) where you pick a race (elf, barbarian, human, troll, gnome, etc...), an "occupation" (mage, cleric, necromancer, warrior, druid, etc...) and define a few other characteristics of your new persona and then you go exploring, fighting bad guys and doing other fun stuff.

BUT here's the really cool part...EQ is played online. You and the other 1200 people connected to the server of your choice (I think there are about 20 of them, all in excess of 1000 people playing at most times of the day and night) get to go head-to-head or work together to complete your quests. It is SO cool.

This is a "massively multiplayer RPG" that could possibly become a second life for those of us that don't really think that the lousy one we have right now is enough. *LOL* The possibilities are endless because of the degree of human interaction. The NPCs (non-player characters) are very well made and react to various stimuli in various ways. For example: If you go hunting bats and you just start kicking the crap out of the bat, do you think he's stupid enough to stay and take it? Not likely. Try beating a giant wasp senseless and he'll find a few of his buddies to come and help him out.

The attention to detail caught me as well. While there are no flies hovering around your dead corpse (� la Unreal - I think the flies are omitted for the sake of cutting down on lag) the weather changes. It rains with thunder and lightning. The graphics are very nicely done: you can select different faces for your character, the magic spells provide wonderful fireworks displays and the overall look of ths 3D world is quite impressive.

Want to know more? Check out the EverQuest Website, the Flashed version is especially nice.

If anyone wants to hook up and go bash some orcs with a level 3 High Elf Cleric on the new Brell Sorelis (sp?) server, you know where to find me...

------------------

WAIT......

Keyboard error
Press <�F1 > to RESUME_

http://sapphire.solareclipse.net

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were ever to play such an RPG, I'd want to be a used car salesman lemming (used car saleslemming?), and I doubt that's an option.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"If you feel that there is some intelligent reason why the immortality and happiness of 600 people should outweigh doubled life-spans and freedom from disease for billions, feel free to let me know. Surely, if they were one-tenth as moral and caring as they claimed to be, they would have shared their incredible discovery." - Mike Wong

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Dani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I won't even ask why...*o_O*

------------------

WAIT......

Keyboard error
Press <�F1 > to RESUME_

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*likes how Dani said "occupation" -- with quotation marks*

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dani: Because I'm eccentric. And I think gnomes etc. are too boring.

Elim: I agree. I wonder what sort of health plan a professional druid gets.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"If you feel that there is some intelligent reason why the immortality and happiness of 600 people should outweigh doubled life-spans and freedom from disease for billions, feel free to let me know. Surely, if they were one-tenth as moral and caring as they claimed to be, they would have shared their incredible discovery." - Mike Wong

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never tried Everquest, but I've played various online text RPGs and currently in the middle of playing a beta Asheron's Call, which is similar to Everquest, but annoys me too much to be addictive. Gemstone III, which I first tried four years ago and recently played a free trial, is probably the most complicated and thorough text RPG out there. I would really like to get Everquest, except my parents would never pay a monthly fee for a computer game. Glad to hear there are quests in there, though. The main reason Asheron's Call annoys me is that the so-called quests have something to do with going into dungeons and getting keys. The only thing you can do to NPCs are buying, selling, or they're asking for specific items. The "races" are all human (and I hate humans. I never ever picked a human in my entire RPG career) with different skin-tones (At least in the first beta), but you can pick the face, hair, clothing, and colors. The professions include warrior, sorcerer, archer, swordmaster, thief, healer, ranger, or a customized character. But a customized character (ex. a sorcerer who can also heal) really works better than any single profession. And basically all I ever did in this game was go out and kill things, raise my level, buy stuff, kill more things, etc. Single-player RPGs work better for me in this case with more NPC interactions and events, but there WAS one text RPG I tried out at AOL that lets you buy horses, giant eagles, dragons, griffins, and other mounts and ride on them. Now THAT's cool.

------------------
"I would be delighted to offer any advice I can on understanding women. When I have some, I'll let you know."
--Picard to Data, "In Theory"

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about cybersex? (Someone had to ask.)

------------------
"What is that? A tank?"
--Our Lord and Savior David Koresh, the Second Coming snuffed out before He could any good.

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Yes, what about it? I need it badly!

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How come no-one ever seems to need anything "goodly"?

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo: I think it's because goodly isn't a word.

------------------
Nurse: Can I help you?
Stan: We're here to commit our friend, Kyle.
Nurse: Reason?
Kyle: I'm a clinically depressed fecalpheliac on Prozac.
Nurse: JACKET!!

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I think Saiyanman's onto something here...

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

Hey RW, if you're looking for c-sex, one of my friends stumbled across this place...*LOL* She spent all night teasing the some of the many desperate losers in here trying to hook up with someone...had me in stiches the whole time. (Don't question my motives in providing you with this link, I'm innocent, I swear! )

The Cyber Lounge

I hope people keep the c-sex to these places and out of EverQuest...the last thing we need are a bunch of perverted trolls running around...*o_O*

------------------

WAIT......

Keyboard error
Press <�F1 > to RESUME_

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goodly not a word?

goodly \Good"ly\, adv. Excellently. [Obs.] --Spenser.
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary

goodly \Good"ly\, a. [Compar. Goodlier; superl. Goodliest.] [OE. godlich, AS. g?dlic. See Good, and Like.]

1. Pleasant; agreeable; desirable. We have many goodly days to see. --Shak.

2. Of pleasing appearance or character; comely; graceful; as, a goodly person; goodly raiment, houses. The goodliest man of men since born. --Milton.

3. Large; considerable; portly; as, a goodly number. Goodly and great he sails behind his link. --Dryden.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary

goodly adj : large in amount or extent or degree; "it cost a considerable amount"; "a goodly amount"; "received a hefty bonus"; "a respectable sum"; "a tidy sum of money"; "a sizable fortune" [syn: goodish, hefty, respectable, sizable, sizeable, tidy]

Source: WordNet � 1.6

Well I'll be! Aside from the above references, I could find no mention of "goodly" at http://dictionary.com/ . I stand corrected.

------------------
I'm not uncouth.
I'm differently mannered.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dani: Do you know a guy named "The Reaper"?

Last night he was playing EQ until 8 in the morning. Considered going two days without sleep, but I guess he figured that he'd be too tired to do anything else......

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

Sorry Tahna, never met him. And considering the fact that there are 20 servers with 1500 people on each, I'm not surprised I haven't. He'd have to be on the same server, the same continent, and around the same city as me for us to have met. *L*

------------------

WAIT......

Keyboard error
Press <�F1 > to RESUME_

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps