Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Peace on earth? Not in our subdivision! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Peace on earth? Not in our subdivision!
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A homeowners' association in southwestern Colorado has threatened to fine a resident $25 a day until she removes a Christmas wreath with a peace sign that some say is an anti-Iraq war protest or a symbol of Satan.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I'm confused. I'm not certain if I should start commenting on violating freedom of religious expression, or go onto freedom of speach first...
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So does this mean that some hippies will get sued if they have a peace sign painted on thier stoner van? Or will someone get sued for having a peace sign tattoo?

Sometimes I wish everyone would just drop dead. Oh wait, I ALWAYS wish that. Maybe Santa will give me an arsenal of thermonuclear warheads...

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw that in the paper today and laughed- no way will they ever be able to make her pay up- besides the inevitable counter-suit would put the homeowner's association out of business forever.
Freedom of expression trumps tightasses any old day.

Amazing how every Christmas some idiot(s) see a need to flex their tiny amount of power to amke everyone else miserable.
Remember last year's whole "Christians boycotting Target/Sears/Whoever if all the "Holiday" sighn were not changed to "Christmas" and their innane "Jesus is the reason for the season" slogan of muck?

It's worked well- Target is all about Christmas this year.
Fuck all those other religions anyhow, right?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Solstice.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading to the article, I think that there's nothing going on more than a personal grudge-match.

My reasons:

a) The resident is a past association president
b) The current president tries to blame other unverifiable residents saying that *some* residents who complained think its a Satanist symbol or have children in Iraq. (I'm betting that very few residents would fit either of these conditions...resident's in an upper-class area with a home-owners association would be more probable to be educated well enough to not believe something so stupid and would also be more probable to have children that aren't subsequently drafted into the dangerous frontlines)
c) After making it sound like he has no choice because other residents complained, he fired five board members that disagreed with him in order to push through the threat.

Seems to me that there's more of a personal grudgematch going on than anything else.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoever think's a peace sign is a satanic symbol obviously has a few loose ones knockin around the old cranium. Either that or they're warmongers.

As for the people who claim to have children in Iraq, they above all people should be the ones crying out for peace. So their children can come home...

Santa... I know you're up there, I've been really good this past year, please give me the means of which to destroy humanity. It'd mean less work for you every christmas. Who knows, maybe you'll be able to finally retire after 2000 years...

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Santa's been at it for 2000 years?
Is he Jesus's ghost or something?
Figures he'd relocate as far away from the Romans as possible...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last I checked, Santa had only been in business for the last eighty years or so, building on the work of his antecedants over the last few centuries...

...But nowhere near two millennia. [Wink]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I know that Yanks are (collectively) no more or less stupid than the rest of us, but bugger me if you lot don't love advertising your stupidity when almost everyone else has sense enough to keep it shtum.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the December picture of our Tallulah calendar, we're going to have her standing next to an aluminium pole, and see how many people understand the joke.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, after the whole incident had spread around like a wildfire, the association relented and said they won't be fining her anymore. The association state this whole situation was due to miscommunication. I was laughing when I read that because I don't think anyone really believes that.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Said "miscommunication" being that the homeoqnwe was unclear that she was supposed to keep quiet and be bullied by this current dick of a president.

I hope she counter-sues his ass off- or at least gets him removed from his "office".

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a similar note (please ignore/redact/write angry letters about their incessant use of person-first construction, but anyway):

Littleton HOA Refuses to Allow Fence for Autistic Eight-Year-old

quote:
DENVER --

A Littleton family was forced to sue their homeowners association because the Southbridge II Property Owners Association has refused to provide a reasonable accommodation under the Fair Housing Act to approve a standard privacy fence designed to protect their eight-year-old son who has autism.

Fletcher Illig is an eight-year-old child with autism, which causes him to be unable to speak. Fletcher is extremely active and curious, and as a result, runs and wanders from his family's home when something outside his home and yard sparks his interest.

Even with a high level of supervision and extra security measures - such as door locks, a fence, and a global positioning system monitor - Fletcher still escapes his home and yard, jeopardizing his health and safety. Fletcher's doctor and therapists recommended that his family build a standard six-foot cedar privacy fence that Fletcher is unable to see or climb over. Despite this, the Illig's HOA refuses to approve the fence, and have instead placed a number of impermissible conditions for the fence to remain.

"Fletcher's fence is identical to over 100 fences in our neighborhood," said Jean Illig, Fletcher's mother. "Even our next door neighbor has an identical fence. I can't believe they are putting HOA bureaucracy over the safety of my son."

"The Fair Housing Act requires homeowners associations, such as Southbridge II, to provide reasonable accommodations and permit fences like Fletcher's," said Carrie Ann Lucas, the Illig's attorney. "The fact that there are so many identical fences demonstrates that approving the fence is a reasonable accommodation."

The Colorado Cross-Disability Coalition is Colorado's largest statewide cross-disability organization run by and for individuals with disabilities, with over 3000 members statewide.

The Illigs are also represented by Fox & Robertson, P.C., who were lead counsel in the recent landmark nationwide class-action settlement against Kmart.

The lawsuit seeks approval of the fence, unspecified damages for the plaintiffs and attorneys' fees.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: As soon as the homeowners' association owns my house or gets zoning laws changed, they can have the right to tell me what I can do on my property.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The simple solution is of course to not belong to it.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps