Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Don't Hold Your Breath!

Author Topic: Don't Hold Your Breath!
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=741

Somehow, I'm not surprised to find out that virtually every sci-fi sequence involving vacuum has been completely debunked. The Hitchhiker's Guide, for example. (In fact, holding your breath actually almost guarantees death!) Even the paragon of "realistic" sci-fi, 2001, is discredited. About the only shows that got it close to right were Firefly and Galactica. Farscape *kinda* got it right, except for the timing (unless you make the case that the scene was in super-slow-mo).

The most interesting part? You don't freeze in a vacuum, because heat doesn't leave your body very quickly without air or water to act as a transfer mechanism.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
For about ten full seconds� a long time to be loitering in space without protection� an average human would be rather uncomfortable, but they would still have their wits about them. Depending on the nature of the decompression, this may give a victim sufficient time to take measures to save their own life.
Just enough time to kiss your ass goodbye.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The first effect is the expansion of gases within the lungs and digestive tract due to the reduction of external pressure.
The first part I could guess, but the second part about the digestive tract I hadn't thought about! Could make for an interesting scene in a realistic movie... [Big Grin]
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and further provided him the means to propel himself back into the airlock...
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I'm gonna be experimenting with my vacuum cleaner tonight!
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Just enough time to kiss your ass goodbye.

Provided of course, that your boss WAS right at hand to receive said kiss.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B.J.:
quote:
The first part I could guess, but the second part about the digestive tract I hadn't thought about! Could make for an interesting scene in a realistic movie...
You mean like this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u4i4Gwl_Ns0

Begins after 1:10, do watch.
For the record (and the faint of heart), it's a clip from "Man behind the sun", the movie about unit 731, the biological experiments facility located in japanese-occupied China during WW2.

[ November 28, 2006, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Nim ]

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dang. There is not a level of Hell deep enough for someone like that.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouchies.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps