Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Name that movie (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Name that movie
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a french comic book movie, plot logic isn't to be expected when you have a 1/3 naked chick strolling around a high rise ledge and an ex-special agent driving a taxi.

Besides, you don't need a plot to have a good film, just look at Blade Runner, or Ghost in the Shell...ok, maybe not, those do have plots, they just don't dwell on them too much.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are you talking about, Blade Runner focused greatly on its plot. You know Replicants.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only in the dective/voiceover version (which is waaay better than the artsy/boring crapola "Director's Cut").

Ghost In The Shell had a plot, but there was sooo much stuff to digest and look at that you need to watch the movie a few times to really follow it.
Stand Alone Complex is far superior though.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've actually never seen the voice over version of Blade Runner, only the director's cut.

I seam to recall a huge chunk in the middle of GiTS that was just the Major wandering around the canals discussing philosophy with Bato on the boat. I know the plot is complex and everything, I just didn't feel the film felt like it had to pay attention to it, that is the "plot" about the ghost hacks & the puppet master felt more like background action in an odd way.

Same thing goes for Blade Runner, or at least the version I've seen.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really- go get yourself the new (or possibly not-yet-released) DVD with both versions of Blade Runner.
The voiceover makes for this cool detective film noir that matches the dark atmosphere of the movie and helps tremendously with the film's pacing.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's based on a comic by Enki Bilal.

Edit: It's called Immortel: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314063/
Airing on SCIFI at 1105 pm Tuesday night!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

The voiceover makes for this cool detective film noir that matches the dark atmosphere of the movie and helps tremendously with the film's pacing.

!, !, & ?!?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have a problem with that sentence? I think it sums it up very nice, and I like the Film Noir angle of the regular version.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Really- go get yourself the new (or possibly not-yet-released) DVD with both versions of Blade Runner.

It's being released in March I think, and yes I'm planning on getting it, mostly for the new cut though.
To be honest I haven't heard many good things about the theatrical cut so I've really not bothered looking for it.

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the BR FAQ:

quote:
Ridley Scott made BR in a style called "film noir". Film noir is the "hardboiled detective" style of story-telling, perhaps the most famous example is the Humphrey Bogart movie "The Maltese Falcon" (directed by John Huston). A characteristic of film noir is the voice-overs by the detective, explaining what he is thinking/doing at the time.

Having said that, it is interesting to note that Ridley Scott originally made BR without the voice-overs, but due to it's poor reception when sneak previewed, the studio insisted that the voice-overs be added. Ridley Scott has said in an interview on American television that in film noir, voice-overs sometimes work, and sometimes don't, and they didn't work in BR.

"(A)n extensive voice-over was added to help people relate to Harrison Ford's character and make following the plot easier. (A)fter a draft by novelist- screenwriter Darryl Ponicsan was discarded, a TV veteran named Roland Kibbee got the job. As finally written, the voice-over met with universal scorn from the filmmakers, mostly for what Scott characterized as its 'Irving the Explainer' quality.... It sounded so tinny and ersatz that, in a curious bit of film folklore, many members of the team believe to this day that Harrison Ford, consciously or not, did an uninspired reading of it in the hopes it wouldn't be used. And when co-writers Fancher and Peoples, now friends, saw it together, they were so afraid the other had written it that they refrained from any negative comments until months later."
[Source: Los Angeles Times Magazine, September 13, 1992]

The ending of the film was also changed by the studio. Scott wanted to end the film with Deckard and Rachael getting into the elevator, but the studio decided that the film needed a happier, less ambiguous ending. The aerial landscape photography used in the theatrical release was outtakes from Stanley Kubrik's The Shining (which, coincidentally, starred Joe Turkel).

In 1992, Ridley Scott released a "Director's Cut" of Blade Runner (BRDC), which eliminates the voice-overs and the happy ending. This version is discussed in more detail below.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again I'm not being Geek-cool here but I watched both versions on TV here a year or two ago - they played the narrated version on Friday and the Director's cut the next. I preferred the narrated version. Maybe I just like happy endings.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Immortal yesterday on Sci-Fi. It was okay. The fx were good but the plot made no real sense.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the plot is a little WTF? ish. I think I might watch it again to see if I can get more out of it.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
N-no! Chris, don't!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

IT'S A TRAP!!!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps