Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » People of Earth: GET OUT OF THE WAY!! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: People of Earth: GET OUT OF THE WAY!!
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
Mark said:
quote:
Hadn't thought of that. Mind you, the Goa'uld DID once try to smash an asteroid into the Earth.
My god, you're right. And before them, the Arachnids! And they succeeded, too. As far as I'm concerned, Buenos Aires is wiped off the map. It was like 9/11 times a thousand.
 -

J/K [Big Grin]

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
[QUOTE]Slight problem with that: there's no atmosphere to produce any shockwaves in.

"Shockwave" may be incorrect terminology, but the energy from a detonation shoud be spherical and should have an effect on a nearby body (like said asteroid).
The notion is not to blow it up, just to re-direct it slightly.

Remember, a course change of only 1 degree is probably more than we'd need if we intercepted a rock as far away as the one NEAR encountered.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You cannot really move a rock with EM or neutron radiation alone, is the point.

(I guess if the detonation was close enough some of it would be vaporized, changing the dynamics somewhat, but... meh.)

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So in this case, a larger (in mass) conventional bomb would be better than a small nuke?
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember on the Daily Show, some scientist saying that if the asteroid were painted white, solar rays reflecting off the asteroid's surface would push it out of the way. Of course, I don't know of any way to paint an asteroid in space.

Also "Outpost" had many bugs, one of which had the colony's population dying in droves for no reason.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Outpost was an awesome game in concept, that turned out to be really crappy. I still had some fun with it sometimes, though.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of the Bugs, someone tell me why the hell that movie was never force-fed to its writer? ...I guess I did like it...I just...shouldn't have.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one chick had nice bodongadongs.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Butler: Because it delivered. It had action and sci-fi and classic Verhoevian political satire, and really good visuals. The poster pretty much said it all. It's not Tarkovsky.

Speaking of Outpost (if we're going off-topic), "Spore" is something I'm looking out for. It's alluring to be able to shape the player creature yourself. I'm thinking about going for a bipedal triclops or some kind of arachnid. With poisonous ink sacs, if it's allowed.

Speaking of Tarkovsky, is anyone else looking forward to "Stalker"? I bought the movie for my brother's birthday last year and we're both curious about the game.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Deflecting Asteroids

http://trekmovie.com/2007/02/24/the-paradise-syndrome-screenshots-and-video/

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That phaser from the front of the secondry hull is tough to swallow (and swallowing phasers is my hobby).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean the orange thing? Isn't it the Es deflector beam?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Yeah it's a deflector beam.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Still...it's pretty weird.
..not as weird as SHatner's performance this episode, but still very odd.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

I am Kirok!
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps