Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Interesting idea (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Interesting idea
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah that God damn dirty look, like I had cursed her out or something...
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She should be glad it wasn't me she was giving that dirty look to. I probably would have cursed her out.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm noticing again that people in this thread are talking about younger people liking tech as if it were only entertainment. This isn't about becoming savages if we didn't have our MTV. I hate MTV. But without computers and satellite communications and TV capability, we wouldn't be able to *sustain* ourselves. No airplanes, no traffic lights, no electricity since they're controlled by computers, no water or fuel since fuel is pumped electrically, so pretty soon no refrigerators or meat packing plants or even harvesting tractors, so no food in anyplace but the most rural areas, and billions upon billions of people would die, except in the third world where millions already die from disease.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We sustained ourselves quite well in the 50s.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go watch Jericho. Now.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would require me to have television.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This whole debate seems to be predicated on the idea of some "disaster" that would somehow "break all technology". Exactly what would that be?

I mean, as long as we're making that sort of speculation, how about a disaster that destroys all plants? We need those to live. Or a disaster that destroys all oxygen? That one would take us out even quicker.

It just seems like we're playing "what if?" ad absurdum here. Sure, if all technology suddenly disappeared, a lot of people would die. Same thing if the sun blows up. But it's not very likely, so I'm not going to worry about it.

(Also, if all that disappear-able technology weren't here in the first place, a lot of people would already have died. Just take a look at our ongoing medical-history-of-half-the-people-at-Flare thread for details.)

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik: We didn't sustain 6 billion *people* in the 50's. Nor could you affordably get from New York to Hong Kong in less than a day. Not to mention get a car, hotel room, and restaurant lined up six weeks in advance of your trip. So at least we couldn't sustain our society, which I happen to like. It's full of people I can laugh at.
Shik
Member # 343

You also didn't HAVE to get a car, room, & restaurant lined up 6 weeks in advance, or get to Hong Kong in a day. We still don't; the self-impositions just make it seem like we do.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps