Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Buffy Question (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Buffy Question
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
I don't watch Buffy because I don't like vampires.

Yeah, that's the reason I decided to leave Santa Carla.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Buffy: Liked the movie, didn't like the series.

Except Alyson Hannigan. Dayum.

Firefly: Never watched. Much hype. May rent DVDs some day to see what it's all about. Currently obsessing over Heroes.

--Jonah

Really? My vague recollection of the movie was that it was a big bag of shite and while I'm not a huge fan of the series, what I have seen looked ok.

As for Firefly, yes, much goodness, renting advisable. Serenity also spiffy.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Buffy movie wasn't a complete waste of time, but the writing on the series was vastly superior. Also, Angel.

I came late to these series. I'd seen select excellent episodes, and thoroughly enjoyed Firefly, but it took me some time to accept that I was actually going to watch a series called "Buffy The Vampire Slayer."

I think people (myself included) had certain expectations about what these series were going to be based on the marketing. (But then how does one market a deep-but-funny-supernatural-show-that-simultaneously-celebrates-and-parodies-the-Anne-Rice-blood-drama-and-has-an-incredibly-silly-name? ) This isn't Beauty & The Beast or Highlander or Forever Knight or even 90210, and yet it does have elements of all those shows (but also Friends funny!). And somehow it all works. And it's hilarious at times, and fun, and even deep.

I wish that more TV would even reach for half the things these show pulled off.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OKay, so I decided, based on the good reviews of this here thread, to sit my ass down and watch an episode of Buffy on TV today.
Once, I almost watched the entire run with a certain woman I really liked, but alas, we split prior to that marathon.
The point is, I figured, I should give the show another chance.

Today's TBS-aired episode featured a trapped demon (in a book) that was scanned into a computer and was a sort of "ghost in the machine" kinda thing.
Good god, it couuld not have sucked any more- seriously- it was almost lamer than Galactica 1980.

I tried to watch it, but found myself laughing at how bad it was...after 30 minutes, I had to change the channel.

Maybe I just caught a really awful episode (I'm talking worse that Voyager's Threshold here), but it made my point about how you'd never know the same guy also made Firefly.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well to be fair, they only managed to make 14 episodes. I'm sure if Joss got to make a good 5 seasons or so there'd be a fair share of laughably bad episodes sprinkled throughout.

As for Buffy, from what I gather it's one of those things that you either get it, or you don't...I sorta get it, sometimes. It has a very off centre, self deprecating humour that I've only really seen in certain anime type shows. I think what it comes down to is whether you can tolerate a show that knows it's silly without being a complete campfest. SG-1 sort of falls into that category, to a lesser extent, while at the other end of the spectrum you have the likes of Andromeda, that simply collapses under the weight of un-suspendeble disbelief.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason - that episode did suck. It wasn't *the* worst but it was pretty bad. I was certainly dissatisfied. You want to see something of the Angel-goes-bad arc. I'd have an episode title for you if the computer the episodes were on hadn't been murdered by airport security.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even my dad secretly likes Buffy now.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I am into Veronica Mars now though. I mean, in addition to.)
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps