Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Trip to Smithsonian Air and Space Museum

Author Topic: Trip to Smithsonian Air and Space Museum
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum and decided to share a some photos.

air_and_space_museum__16_

Click on the link below for more pics:

Air and Space Museum pics

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhm, that's a Gemini capsule at the top, not an Apollo... [Smile] Very nice shots of the E, though.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, it's fixed. I could have sworn that it was an Apollo capsule.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err, you're both wrong. It's a Mercury capsule. Friendship 7 at NASM. Mercury: 1-man, Gemini: 2-man, Apollo: 3-man.

Very cool that you went, Mike, and thanks for the pictures! It's been 20 years since I visited. Still remember it vividly.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always wondered about the saucer - in that pic above and in others it always looks as if the saucer angles up to the front i.e. it's not dead horizontal... is that just an optical illusion from that angle?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sigh...Every time I see those filthy grid lines...
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

Not sure... I was giddy I found her at the gift shop next to a pile of Star Trek sticker books.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet model of the Enterprise (aircraft carrier).
Is the trek E from DS9 or a really bad repaint when it was restored for the museum (I seem to recall heraing something about that waaay back...).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

The DS9 Connie is not the one in the Air and Space Museum... that's in someone else's collection along with the K7 and D7. Bastard...

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

quote:
Always wondered about the saucer - in that pic above and in others it always looks as if the saucer angles up to the front i.e. it's not dead horizontal... is that just an optical illusion from that angle?
Not sure... I'd say optical illusion.

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been *way* too long since I've been to the Air & Space Museum. I need to go there again, especially since I have kids of my own now. I especially want to go to the new Udvar Hazy center, which has the Space Shuttle Enterprise.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Via that link: what is that awesome background pic?? It has the E-E and Jemmie Bugs... can you post the original - are there more like it!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

I found it by Valiant in SciFi Meshes... its the USS Excalibur taking a direct hit on the port nacelle thanks to the bugs. I think it's still on the site.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps