Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Obtaining Screenshots?

Author Topic: Obtaining Screenshots?
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend sent me a nice video clip with a particular shot that I want to use for my background. Any idea how I can obtain such a screenshot? Winamp and Media Player don't provide any ideas as to how to accomplish this.

Thanks.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VLC. www.videolan.org Video -> Snapshot. Saves in your home directory on Linux, so on Windows I'm guessing somewhere in My Documents.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pause it and use GIMP/Photoshop/PSP to capture it.

Open it in a video editor and pull out the selected seen.

I just started playing around with VLC, a quick test saved in home/.vlc as a png, pretty cool. Thanks Dan.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
btw, in Windows and Linux the "Print Screen" key will take capture a screenshot of whatever you can currently see, and many video players will do a fullscreen mode. In Windows, after you push the key, you'll have to open a new document in Paint or whatever you like and paste it. (I just love that Paint can save to JPEG...I remember my first computer, with 256 colors and 8mb RAM....)
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan: Tried that. Dunno why, but it won't keep the screen.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience with videos and print screen, it doesn't save the video. For whatever reason.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

*shrug* Well, VLC then [Wink]
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remain faithful to POwerDVD and its screen-grab button (a handy little camera icon). And you can specify location and filename parameters. The only drawback is it will only save as .BMPs, but a quick Batch Conversion in PSP sorts that.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"For whatever reason."

That would be because media players typically render video directly to a non-shared hardware overlay memory buffer that the Windows printscreen routine doesn't read.

Now you know.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Which explains why it works for me - I use Compiz and have the 'unredirect video' option checked. Unless I'm wrong.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, irony. My work laptop died on Friday, and it was either PowerDVD or Nero that did it, both pirated. And me the IT manager. Incidentally. anyone got a Looney Tunes DVD which could furnish a picture of Sylvester and Sylvester Junior, the latter with that paper bag on his head?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

That's not ironic, that's just coincidental! [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps