Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Lilith: Demon from hell or first feminist?

Author Topic: Lilith: Demon from hell or first feminist?
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Despite the inflammatory headline, I don't think the information provided at the following link will cause a brouhaha.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mlilith.html

If anyone has objections, they are welcome to start a thread in the FlameBoard.

------------------
Have a place for everything and keep the thing somewhere else; this is not advice, it is merely custom.
-- MARK TWAIN
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not TOUCHING that one.

------------------
"Angels, answer me,
are you near if rain should fall?
Am I to believe
you will rise to calm the storm?
For so great a treasure words will never do.
Surely, if this is, promises are mine to give you.
mine to give........ "
~ Enya

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... While I find this academically intriguing, I was hoping the title was referring to Frasier's wife on Cheers... *L*

------------------
"Merde!"
-commander of Napoleon's army, upon learning that the Duke of Wellington's forces had received assistance and were requesting his surrender

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's so bad about that?

I have another question: If the Lilith character is not portrayed in Genesis, then what is all the fuss about?
What if was the Hera Fair instead? Would the evangelist be in a simular uproar? ("The Greek Goddess of Wisdom is damamging our Christain beliefs!")

To me it is all really silly. Just another reason for people to point sticks and throw rocks another group of people.

------------------
"What is that? A tank?"
--Our Lord and Savior David Koresh, the Second Coming snuffed out before He could any good.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Athena was the Greek goddess of wisdom. Hera was the goddess of pissed off jealousy and trying to kill Hercules with big rocks. Or so I learned on TV, anyway.

------------------
"We kid around a lot about people who are cyclopses, but seriously; if you're a mythic figure you've got challenges that no one should have to deal with."
--
John Flansburgh

[This message has been edited by Sol System (edited July 27, 1999).]

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm.... A little different interpretation than the one Sarah McLachlan tells, but the concert was still very good

But it sounds to me that the idea of Lilith is actually a number of different legends, a demon or first wife of Adam or whatever. I'm not an expert on religion by any means, but I think you could use any interpretation of the legend you wanted to.

------------------
"But, it was so artistically done."
-Grand Admiral Thrawn

[This message has been edited by Chimaera (edited July 27, 1999).]

IP: Logged
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, far be it from me to disagree with the author, but MY understanding, from my readings (Demonology being a kind of hobby of mine - don't ask) is that the "rebellious female" legend does indeed PRE-Date the "murdering demon" legend, existing in the Quabbala and other Jewish apocryphal stories not included in the Bible (which is why it's not in Genesis, the codifiers declined to add it) as far back as it goes.

I also heard that the main problem between Lilith and Adam was that she wanted to be "on top" during sex.

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

And he had a problem with that?

------------------
Josh: I think they're getting to know each other a bit too well, if you catch my drift.
Me: Oh, I agree. I think they're spending too much time together, that is of course, if you catch my drift.
Asher: I think he's *ucking her, and he's cheating on his wife, and he's risking his marriage, and if his wife finds out about it she'll leave him and take their son, and his life will be ruined. If you catch my drift...

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So that's who Frasier married.

------------------
I'll get you for this Gadget!!!! MEEEEE-ROWWRRRR.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jaresh: Apparently, Adam wasn't very bright.

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eve: "Here's the fruit God forbade us to eat. Want some?"

Adam: "Sure! *Crunch! Slobber Gulp!* Doh!"

And you women wonder why it takes us to much effort to think. Look at our genetic heritage. We haven't much of a tradition in that department.

--Baloo

------------------
Have a place for everything and keep the thing somewhere else; this is not advice, it is merely custom.
-- MARK TWAIN
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are right Sol about the Athena thing.

I think I'll form a band and go on a Baal Fair tour. I'm not sure what this means but I think GWAR would join this endeavor.

------------------
"What is that? A tank?"
--Our Lord and Savior David Koresh, the Second Coming snuffed out before He could any good.

Feste
Ex-Member

And apparently Adam was something of a wuss. To finish Baloo's script:

Adam: "Sure! *Crunch! Slobber Gulp* Doh!"

God: Okay, what did I tell you about that?

Adam: Don't blame me! Eve tempted me and held a snake to my head and made me do it!

Eve: (rolling eyes) Oh, thanks. Holy cow - we're naked! (looks closely at Adam) Ewww!

------------------
"'I'm afraid there's nowhere for you to sit,' I said coldly; 'the verandah is full of goats.'" --Saki "The Guests"

[This message has been edited by Feste (edited July 27, 1999).]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps