Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Earth Hour 2008 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Earth Hour 2008
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At 8pm today - turn off all of your lights and stand-by appliances for 1 hour.

www.earthhour2008.com

http://www12.earthhourus.org/

[ March 29, 2008, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently that includes the webserver?

Also, what timezone are you talking about? [Wink]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When-ever it's 8pm in your neck of the woods.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which really doesn't help when the coal plants are still fired up and burning coal, turning the turbines, etc....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rather like my light [Wink]
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd probqably be the only one in my household to do it. I do have some earth savvy friends though. Maybe I'll e-mail the US site around.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, y'know...not.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the selfish bugger I am I shall run into the (now being rained on streets) crying "Turn on all of your lights to piss off thous pious, hippy, tree-hugging, Toyota Prius driving types".

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that there's anything wrong with being a hippie (in theory), or enjoying trees and hybrid vehicles. But making people think they've made some awesome personal contribution to environmentalism by turning off their lights for a few minutes when they're really doing jack shit... That's not helpful.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it doesn't do jack shit. Perhaps, it a stepping stone, a gateway drug if you will, to get people to do more serious environmental saving things. If tons of people do something as simple as this, they think that they can actually save the planet by doing such EASY things, which soon turn into more complex things...like donating half their paycheck to the national arbor society...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except maybe their isn't time for these stepping stones.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A freaking placebo to cure your cancer?

The only thing you are missing Sean is that people are lazy, otherwise we wouldn't be using fossil fuels or machines.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking maybe I should go watch the South Park episode "Smug Alert" at 8 PM. [Big Grin] I don't think it's healthy to just sit in the dark by myself for an hour.

I can relate to this whole idea as a promotional stunt, like when companies use pink lights for breast cancer or whatever... but the idea of this act helping the environment is a ridiculous idea. All it means is that the electrical grid will be drawing less energy; the power plants won't really be putting out any less.

And I wonder if local portions of the grid will be subject to a blowout when everyone turns their lights on at the same time come 9 PM...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meh. Gaia will maintain homeostasis one way or another. Either we'll invent something cleaner or die out as a species.
OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I had a 3 hour black-out the other day, so I'm saying that counts as my "Earth Day" quota. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps