Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » My computer has a first name, it's D-E-A-fuck-D (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: My computer has a first name, it's D-E-A-fuck-D
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly.

If I have my facts right, the Virginia was built upon the hull of a damaged and captured union ship, the Merrimack.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not merely damaged, but burned to the waterline and sunk. The Confederates raised and rebuilt her into the ironclad ram CSS Virginia.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's them DAAYAM YAHNKEEES that insist on calling the Virginia "Merrimack".

The Battle of Hampton Roads was a two day battle (March 8-9, 1862) that involved multiple Union and Confederate ships. On the first day of battle the Ironclad vessel CSS Virginia steamed out and sank two wooden Union frigates blockading the harbor (USS Cumberland & USS Congress) and forcing the USS Minnesota to run aground. The next day the Ironclad USS Monitor arrived and what ensued was the first battle between ironclad warships. It was also the first use of a turret on a warship in battle. Neither side was able to sink the opposing vessel and both withdrew claiming victory.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without the turret, the Monitor would have been technically inferior to the Virginia in terms of firepower. The Virginia had 10 or 12 guns, all in fixed mounts, but the Monitor had only 2, in the turret. Wasn't the Monitor sunk soon after by a storm?

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, the computers are as dead as the Virginia/Merrimac/Cumberland/Congress/Minnesota?
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
Without the turret, the Monitor would have been technically inferior to the Virginia in terms of firepower. The Virginia had 10 or 12 guns, all in fixed mounts, but the Monitor had only 2, in the turret. Wasn't the Monitor sunk soon after by a storm?

Yes, she was caught in a gale and sunk. The Monitor only had a foot or two of freeboard so she was not a real seagoing vessel, more of a river/coastal boat.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So my computer needs a new gun turret? Or wait, I have to buy an...ironclad video card...?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you should spend valuable resources on upgarding it to the pinnicle of performance as a morale boost, only to lose the war anyway.
(yours would be a war against tech-obsolensence).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine would be the war against < 100fps in Dawn of War.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I feel your pain- my computer is also deceased.
Missing System 32 file and the CD drive is not working for a re-install and the fan is not running.

I've never tried a repair place for computers- it seems kinda hit and miss.

I'm in serious Adobe Withdrawl 2.0

You could try to download that missing file off the interwebz and putting it in the system32 folder, I've had to do that a couple times. Just be careful what you download and make sure you check it.

I just got my machine running again after a week of crappiness. Got a virus that wouldn't let me open certain windows. When I got rid of the virus the problem didn't go away, I eventually tracked it down to a corrupt gdi32.dll system file. I was going to download it and try to manually replace the bad file but I couldn't open regedit because it depended on this file to run. Dammit...

So one complete system restore later it started working, but my internet was shot. And after a freak power outage my internet suddenly started working again go figure. Oh well, I'm scraping together some cash for a new machine so I can toss this one off the deck.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
COUGH *buyamack* COUGH
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would he want a large truck?
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To run over his dead PC?

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the first things I look for in warranties is "defenestration." Mostly because I love the word, and partly because I like to keep my options open.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I've thought about a Mac but really, I prefer Linux, and cloned IBM hardware is cheaper than Mac hardware (although it really doesn't make a difference which you use from The Mighty Portable Linux's point of view).
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps