Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » OMG!!!! HE MUST BE TAKING STEROIDS!!!!

Author Topic: OMG!!!! HE MUST BE TAKING STEROIDS!!!!
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How good is too good?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's more disgusting is that the 'league' is now slandering the mother in order to make her and her son look bad... because he has a fast pitch for his age.

The modern Western world, sure to punish success wherever it is found.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its like that Philip K. Dick story that's been made into a movie that comes out next year.... I can't for the life of me remember the name... [Frown]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Free_Albemuth

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is wrong. It's sad that the poor kid has to be discouraged from doing something that he's good at.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
Its like that Philip K. Dick story that's been made into a movie that comes out next year.... I can't for the life of me remember the name... [Frown]

More like Harrison Bergeron

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say, they do have a point. We're not talking about major-league baseball, where it's supposed to be all the best players. If this kid's skills are, literally, out of his league, maybe he should be playing against older kids.

And I wouldn't assume they're slandering the mother. According to the article, she admits that she called the police because some kids wouldn't play ball with her son. I mean, come on.

Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently she was threatened at the field or something - it's pretty clear we're not getting the whole story here.

But it IS obvious that the 'league' wanted to show off the kid on their terms, which the mother didn't want to do, so they banned him from the game. Doesn't sound like they were THAT upset at his pitch speed... they were upset that his mother, if you'll excuse the expression, wouldn't 'play ball'.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the kid could hurt somebody with a 40mph pitch. Imagine an 8 or 9 year old (or younger!) getting faced with a ball at that speed. However, the article didn't mention (or did I miss it somehow?) that they wanted him to play against older kids; I thought they wanted him out period.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, when you think of it, the only other choice, besides having him play another position on the same team, is to move him up a leauge, where he'd be playing with and against kids much older than him. He may be a skilled pitcher, but he might lack in other important b-ball skills, that the other kids would out match him in. He could get seriously hurt playing with the other kids. So, I guess I kind of understand the mother's point of view.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Vanguard
Member # 1780

They wanted him in a 'special star league' of kids his age - to show off for a special sponsor. This would mean that he would play outside of his neighborhood and all that.

They had no problem with his age, or his pitching, until AFTER his mother refused to move him to the sponsor league.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Oh, I must have mis-interpreted the article...

--------------------

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a case of adults trying to exploit kids because they figure they can get away with it, and then a good protective parent overreacting. One of the reasons I dislike structured activities for children...it's not about the kids, really, it's about the adults who fund/organize/watch.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps