Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Bargain basement sale!! Now at low, LOW, "scrape your jaw off the floor"-LOW Prices!!

Author Topic: Bargain basement sale!! Now at low, LOW, "scrape your jaw off the floor"-LOW Prices!!
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081001/ap_on_fe_st/odd_cheap_home

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You see thats the problem with eBay. You think you've bought a house for $1.75, but they screw you with the tax, and don't get me started on the postage.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to have to pay more attention to E-Bay.

Even if it's a Meth house, the clean up and taxes are still cheap.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kosh: Not necessarily. I have an uncle who cleans meth labs so they can be resold legally, and with a lot of the really awful places the cleanup costs more than demolishing and rebuilding. Regardless, cleanup is rarely "cheap."

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing says it wont just be re-occupied by methheads once it's cleaned up.

There are likely many other things needed before anyone coule really live there- is the house safe structurally? Electrical problems? Plumbing problems?
Plus, anything not nailed down would have been sold for drugs....
Selling it "as is" is unlikely if the realtors sold it on flippin Ebay and fixing it up would probably be costly.

OTOH, she could pay for an assesment of the land and property (if not allready available from the seller) and donate it to charity- the tax write-off would certainly be worthwhile.

Maybe habitat For Humanity would be intrested: they just build fresh in such corcumstances.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Nothing says it wont just be re-occupied by methheads once it's cleaned up.

Oh, but of course. But if a meth house gets busted, it legally can't be re-sold until it's clean. (The definition of "clean" varies from state to state, of course.) That's not to say that it can't illegally be re-sold, but if it's been sold by a realtor who didn't at least disclose its history, let alone ensure that it's been cleaned, that realtor would be in some serious shit.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just burn it down and sniff the ashes.
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HopefulNebula:
Kosh: Not necessarily. I have an uncle who cleans meth labs so they can be resold legally, and with a lot of the really awful places the cleanup costs more than demolishing and rebuilding. Regardless, cleanup is rarely "cheap."

Yeah, we had some stories on the news about people buying what ended up being Meth marts. They lost their money and couldn't sell the places without doing the clean up.

It was really bad here for a while, with new places being busted every day. It's down a good bit now. They might find one a week.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imagine the scumbags showing up at all hours on your doorstep to buy drugs after you've spent thousands cleaning up the place and making it livable.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been going through that, cleaning up a motel where the previous managers were the dealers. Fun stuff.

Then the spent crack whores as an added bonus.

10 months from a place with a drug dealers and crack hoes to Child Services approved.

Sorry, no pets.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps