Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Over the River and through the Woods...

Author Topic: Over the River and through the Woods...
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...To grandmother's house we go...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, in North America the parents would probably be thrown in jail.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naaa. there's several dozen instances of minors driviong off with their parents cars each year- crazy as it sounds, it's usually not a neglegence thing- no one can watch kids 24/7 and some kids just go joy-rideing early.

Plus, there's the allure of Mailbox Baseball to consider.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but I think they'd draw the line at a 9 year old...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a recent news report of a 7 year old doing this, and this one was having fun crashing into other cars. The police couldn't really do much to the boy, but his parents have to pay for all the cars he wrecked. And the kicker is he wasn't at all remorseful or sorry for what he did, and nobody could get him to see the light. Kinda reminded me of those "kids gone wild" Maury Povich shows or something.
Da_bang80
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe, a 7 year old in a defensive driving class. Probably be the only one who learned anything.

His parents should stick him in a sack and beat him with a pillowcase full of oranges, he'd be sorry then.

--------------------
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beating on a kid teaches (almost) nothing and once the discomfort/pain goes away the kid thinks it's all a closed case- that he's now square for whatever he/she did to get spanked.

Instead, sell all his toys/video games to help pay for damages.
Explain to him that he also just forfited his birthday and holiday presents- make it universal: no gifts allowed from anyone.

If that dont work, buy a sack of onions- oranges are expensive.

Da_bang80
Member # 528

When I was a kid and I did something bad I got a smack upside the head, it sure taught me a lesson.

Selling all his stuff might make him run away like that Xbox kid a couple weeks ago.

But you're right, oranges are expensive, but you can make orange juice after your done.

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bang:
quote:
When I was a kid and I did something bad I got a smack upside the head, it sure taught me a lesson.
Dude, it's Japan, they're probably holding the kid down and are stomping on his kidneys for losing face toward the neighborhood. Japanese mothers have been known to smack their 4-year old daughters for laughing out loud in public, which is seen as un-womanly. The little girl starts crying and then it's ok, because crying is treasured.

Regarding what you said about your getting smacked taught you a lesson, a kid who touches himself "down there" and gets a hot iron pressed on his palm by a parent, he would say the same when he grows up, "taught me something". Doesn't make it right tho. With all respect.

Da_bang80
Member # 528

I think you're taking my post to a bit of an extreme there. I know there's a difference between getting a spanking and child abuse. But I understand what your saying, I wouldn't want some kids to get poked with something hot. But that's Japan, different culture different rules, honestly I think they're all a little bit cooky.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't recent research show punishment of all age groups results in resentment and a desire for revenge far more often than genuine behavior modification?
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good beating should be followed up with a bad beating, so they see the difference.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps