Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Buried glaciers on Mars (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Buried glaciers on Mars
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supposedly the Viking data contained circadian rhythms that a researcher spotted recently. Or evidence of them, anyway, maybe. And we know there's water there and there might be fossils of microbes. We also know there are silicates and I think carbonates. Does that about sum up the sketchy evidence for current Martian life, or does anybody know any other tidbits?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kosh:
So we need to build something that can go to Mars, Land in the right place, take a core sample and return to Earth.

I think I had something like that in the garage.

I sentence you to watch The Andromeda Strain. (or read the book, which is, of course, far superior)
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
Kinda hard to screen for bugs you haven't encountered yet...

Then boil it. I doubt Martian microbes would be any more capable of withstanding high temperatures than terrestrial bugs.

The true is that if there is microbial life on Mars, we'll most likely be more of a threat to it than it to us.

Plenty of bugs live in the earth's deep sea thermal vents- heat is no sure way to kill microbes- cold either for that matter: there are colonies of bacteria living a few inches beow the surface in Antarctica (though it's even colder on Mars, of course).

The big threat might be one of mutation via contamination- our bugs plus their bugs (or heaven forbid- viruses).
Or some jolly researcher decides to inject a test animal with Mars bacteria just for giggles and we get something twisted and impossible to define.
Like Daniel here. [Wink]

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My origins were more sinister than foolhardy, I assure you. [Wink]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always thought of you as some kind of evil mollusk- a Stebeos-like cuttlefish with a tenticle on each key....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More of a Dr Zoidberg, but with a beard so you can tell he's evil. That's what I visualise him as.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kind of envisioned him as a "ReAnimator" creation Mature Content

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

What's a Stebeos? :-/
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now there's me thinking he was the spawn of Yog-Sothoth and a Shu'ulathoi.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he's a product from the Old Ones, then I am from the Young Ones. :.)

Oh, and "Herb Alpert - ReAnimator" brightens any party. Vorta Combs for the win!

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

*folds his hands quietly and waits beneath the sea*
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
What's a Stebeos? :-/

An odd reference to the creature Caliban's father/master in the Robert Browning poem Caliban (taking up Shakespeare's character from The Tempest).
Recently, writer Dan Simmons used the characters from The tempest in his amazing books Illium and Olympos wherein Stebeos' horrific nature is nicely expressed.

Kinda a giant evil telepathic vampiric brain thingie with many appendeges that tranverses alternate realities wreaking wholesale destruction and feeding off the psychic trauma of it's victims 9and their flesh to reproduce asexually).
So, of course, I thought of you.

...and now you know the rest of the backstory. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps