Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Holiday Humbugs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Holiday Humbugs
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I was planning to get GTA IV on PC, but I hear that there are some major issues with it. I also thought about Fallout 3 but I hear the same thing. So does anyone here own them for the PC? Anybody want to offer alternatives?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own Fallout 3 for the PC and yes, it is very buggy. Though not to the point of making it unplayable, at least for me. Mostly poor frame rate, unresponsive or slow to respond controls during a fight, buggy physics engine, that sort of thing. Most of which will probably be sorted in an upcoming patch, but I don't think that will be released until January/February time.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember the days when patches used to fix minor bugs and not used to basically complete the game that should have been fully finished in development.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember when there was no such thing as patches?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but Atari's 2600 console was a masteriece of quality control.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when the remedy consisted of praying and chanting for 2 minutes before an Amiga playing session, for the "Guru meditation" gods not to appear.

In the 1997-2004 time period, patches where mostly sources of "oh, nice"-ness, but it was mostly polish.

I'm stuck at the last level of Crysis, and the spider exoship can't be defeated because 1 minute 30 seconds into the fight, the texture buffer fills up all the RAM memory and the page file (instead of sequentially purging itself), stuttering the game to a freeze, ingame and on desktop alike.
I can even see it happening on the activity manager, 3844/4022 Mb pagefile, 2030/2048 RAM used. Flatline.

Oh, and the opportunity where I can actually launch the weapon at the spidership doesn't occur until 2-3 minutes into the fight (preset scripting), so I'll never reach there before game (and Windows) freezes, not even in 800x600 resolution and all video settings set to "low".
Not until patch 1.3 comes, which has been cancelled by Crytek.

My brother is playing Fallout 3 now, though, and he has nothing but praise for it. No showstopper there, and GTA I hear is playable too.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clearly what you need is MOAR RAM. [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Patches have become a very big crutch for PC game development because you can get away with shipping some pretty big issues and fix them since almost everyone has some form of internet connectivity, unlike console install base which is still somewhere in the 40% range from last report I saw.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Okay so I'll buy the bullet and buy GTA IV. Just hope I have enough RAM. [Wink]
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're better off waiting for Saints Row 2 in January. I was a bit dissapointed in GTA IV, to the point that I sold my copy after finishing the story. There's really not much in the way of side missions or much else do do for that matter.

SR2 is far superior, and since my third xbox is broken I might just make a return to PC gaming.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Alrighty then, I'll get Fallout 3. It loks cool and it has a sci-fi setting.
Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux:
quote:
Clearly what you need is MOAR RAM. [Wink]
Not at all, I've played through Bioshock, Stalker, Neverwinter Nights 2 and 95% of Crysis, all with 1680x1050 res and ultra-high video settings, with solid 50-60 frames/sec, and Crysis has been fine up until now, but suddenly I swing around a corner in the final level of Crysis and this spider dude sucks all the system resources out of the comp in 90 seconds. And this is a level that is renowned for bugs, just not the memory leak ones. Sometimes the spidership spawns into the floor of the aircraft carrier, with only the top of him sticking out.

I see that ATI released the Catalyst 8.12 driver pack yesterday, I'll try that one out.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

How about playing the final level on low settings?
Nim
Member # 205

That's what I wrote in my first post, I am playing on low setting, lowest resolution and all graphic options on low. Just installed the 24-hour old "Catalyst 8.12", doesn't change a damn thing, 2 minutes into the fight with the spider, just as it turns around, a new wave of lesser squidships attack and the stutter freezes the game, killing it and returning to desktop.

My brother finished this game a month ago and his computer rig is lower-specced than mine.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Oh my mistake. What computer are you playing on?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps