Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Nigerian Scam Sucker

Author Topic: Nigerian Scam Sucker
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This guy lost $150,000 to a Nigerian scam. I can't believe someone would go along with it all for so long!...
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must get a dozen of those e-mails a week and I always wondered if there was anyone stupid enough to fall for it, now I know. Can't say that I'm filled with sympathy for the plonker, nor the family members he seams to have sucked into the hole he's dug for himself.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Then he got an e-mail from a government department — he’s not sure which country — saying he owed $250,000 on tax on his inheritance. Rempel spoke to his contact, who told him they negotiated the fee down to $25,000.
Riiiiight there is where he became a complete idiot forevermore and always.
I mean, fuck's sake- a phone call or Google search on such "inheritance tax" would have saved this turnip.

A couple of years ago I saved some loser from that scam one night.
Guy was asking for help faxing something internationally and when I saw he was sending a copy of a check and it was going to Nigeria, I printed him a bunch of info from the FBI's website.

He really did not believe me at first either.

The guy still comes in sometimes and I always point him out to my fellow employees as "that moron".
He was just trying to do something nice for someone and get incredibly wealthy at the same time.

There are entire websites of people that do nothing but screw with those Nigerian scammers: the (great) radio program This American Life did an entire episode on them.
It's really funny and worth listening to.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn...I've done so dumb things in my life, but this guy...I mean...Damn.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should brand "DUMBASS" right across his forehead.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, it's what happens when you get two generations (and counting) of people living under the delusion that the world owes them something. It's NEVER too good to be true, so long as they THINK they can get something for free.

Sad, really.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend strung along one of these scammers for weeks until he got bored with it. It was funny until I got bored too.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides these Nigerian email scams, I'm on Craigslist a lot, buying and selling used computers, and I see this kind of flim-flammery all the time. Usually it's an ad for a MacBook Pro or something similar, for a ridiculously cheap amount of money. However, when you email them asking why they're selling the computer so cheap, their response to you ignores your question. That's because the response is cut-and-paste; something along the lines of "I'm currently in the UK right now, but I'll ship you the laptop. Just wire the money through Joe's Moneygram Service."

Unfortunately, stupidity and greed go hand-in-hand, and people are still falling for this crap.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps