Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I'm considering joining the Navy (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I'm considering joining the Navy
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know we have some Navy people on this board. So, tell me about it, if you don't mind. Is it worth it? Is it remotely as fun and rewarding as the recruitment material makes it out to be? (Disregarding obvious hyperbole of course.) Recommend it to your friends?

Edit: And what about resigning as an enlisted man? The website isn't entirely clear (to me at least) about minimum obligations.

Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a lot of military family and friends (this town will do that). Basically, the easiest recommendation is that it's really great, particularly for starting your career so long as you're single.

The military life, in any branch, is extremely tough of a relationship.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thing I (seriously) swore I'd never date ever, ever again.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I can really contribute to this topic is something I learned in Life Skills this semester.

When they interview you for any position, or even when the recruiter talks to you, if he asks you why you want to join up, don't give the whole " I want to serve my country" bull crap ( even if that is your intention). They prefer people who are joining the service to better themselves, or jump start a career/ get money for college, etc. So, go with those reasons if the question is asked. If you do decide to go, good luck man. It's been a pleasure being your sidekick. [Wink]

( This would actually be an appropriate time for Pensive to chime in)

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Oh, I'd tell him the truth: I want to move around a lot and see different things and fire an M-16 in boot camp. [Razz]
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should join the Sea Org. [Razz]
shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I can't tell you much about the Navy, but I am in the Army right now so I suppose the military experience is all the same.

It's definitely a good stepping stone to jump-start someone, especially in a more techinically inclined branch like the Navy and Air Force. Also, don't get sucked up into the recruiting videos. All the branches over-exaggerate themselves immensley.

But to put it bluntly, some people simply can't live the military life. Wether or not that's you is beyond me, but it's definitely something you should consider before signing 3+ years of your life away.

Oh and you'll never touch an M-16 while you're in the Navy. We had 2 Navy re-class guys in my platoon for BCT and they told us they qualified with only pistols, shotguns, and M-14's.

Which is still fucking awesome IMHO. Wish they'd give me a shotgun.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh...give me a 7.62mm over a 5.56 mm any day... [Wink]

Yeah, Daniel, don't expect to be handling a ton of weaponry in the NAVY unless you join the seals. I believe the main use of the M-14 in the NAVY is to shoot at mines. Still, being trained on a .50 cal M2 wouldn't be too boring, I'm sure...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just remember to remove the cleaning rod before you open fire. I used to work with an ex-Navy bloke who had no end of hilarious tale about how far that thing flew. Oh and if you shoreleave in Russia or Eastern Europe you can get an AK-47 for about a tenner.
Oh and be warned, all squaddies and most Navy types will thieve anything that isn't nailed down, unless they can steal the nails too.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My best friend is career Navy (though a reservist now) and tells stories of how great it was to travel to Japan and the south pacific.
His Navy specialization in a particular radar system has led to a swanky military contractor job too.

I'd grill the recruiter on what kinds of training you can get and if/when they place you based on the ASVAP placement test.
Practice here.

If you place well, it's a BIG plus and can lead to advanced placement right out of basic training.
Go for real technical training- computers, avionics, etc.- something with a career past the service.

If you really cant master the test, I might skip Navy service- Discovery Channel had a great special on life on a Carrier: part of which focused on one disgruntled shipman that had the duty of cleaning EVERY toilet on the ship.
It was his sole responsibility and he had to break it up over several days, then start at the begining again.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

We had to take it in high school and I scored well, so I assume I'll score well now. That's a plus, then.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:

( This would actually be an appropriate time for Pensive to chime in)

Could you ever have imagined THAT statement being made on this forum?

I DO think you have to say his name three times for him to appear though.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Yeah, now that I think of it, that does sound like a rare occurrence. Or...you know, Kosh could also pipe up.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Navy is a good job whether you want to enlist for just 4 years or go career.

Life on a ship is interesting and different on different types of ships. Personally I think a DDG is the best ship to be on.

As for guns ... you're wrong about the M-16 rifle. I've used it and got qualified on it along with the M-14. If weapons are your thing, then be a Gunner's Mate (GM), they get to play with all the guns in the armory. Either way, while on watch I've carried the M-14, M9 pistol, and 12-gauge shotguns depending on which watch and which port we were visiting.

In all honesty though, if you join there will be times you hate it. Times you wish you never joined. Then there will be times you love it. The friendships you make with your shipmates and the experiences you will have civilians don't.

As for what I did in the Navy. I joined in the naval intelligence field as an Electronics Warfare Technician (EW), a rating that no longer exists after it was merged with Cryptologic Technician Technical (CTT).

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, how old were your M-14's? When I went to BCT/OSUT, we got brand spankin' new M4's with those CCO's attached. I thought it was nice.

Anyway, did you consider any other branches to join Dan?

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps