Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Ding, dong, the hack's one step closer to losing his license...

Author Topic: Ding, dong, the hack's one step closer to losing his license...
HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Most of this is gratuitously copypasted from my Dreamwidth.)

MMR "doctor" "failed to act in interests of children"

Dr Andrew Wakefield, the expert at the centre of the MMR controversy, "failed in his duties as a responsible consultant" and showed a "callous disregard" for the suffering of children involved in his research, the General Medical Council (GMC) has ruled.

Wakefield also acted dishonestly and was misleading and irresponsible in the way he described research that was later published in the Lancet medical journal, the GMC said. He had gone against the interests of children in his care, and his conduct brought the medical profession "into disrepute" after he took blood samples from youngsters at his son's birthday party in return for payments of £5.

OK, you can't see me right now, so you'll have to imagine it, but I just threw my hands up in the air and went "woo hoo." And wiggled around in my chair a bit.

(You may have gathered that vaccines are a pet topic of mine.)

Wakefield is to actual medicine what L. Ron Hubbard is to religion (not that I'm a fan of organized religion in general, but his "church" isn't even that.). He's a hack who started a movement that is actively harmful to both its adherents and its non-adherents.

Oh, and both groups resort to harassment, libel, slander, and frivolous lawsuits to shut people who actually know what they're talking about up.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tis more flameboard material, IMHO. So is the Pat Robertson thread too....

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And so we're seing a return of Polio and Chickenpox fatalities as well-meaning -but gullible- parents refuse to get their children immunized.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And measles (measles encephalitis is deadly, and it's much more common in adults, which means that as unvaccinated kids grow up into a world where there's less herd immunity, the death rate will rise), and whooping cough... You know, all those "harmless" childhood diseases.

I remain convinced that any parent who hears what whooping cough sounds like and thinks it's "harmless" has either no heart or no brains.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps