Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The Mother of All Models (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Mother of All Models
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the gimme's used/availible for model kit diorama are surprisingly limited. i dont know if they care or simply are unaware of the differnet pieces of SE we use. of course, if you're savy with molds or plastic injection and have some knowledge of equipment sizes and function *cough, cough*...

well, im not knowledgeable with using molds or injection plastic, anywho...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3D prototyping is the way ahead. Make the model in 3D, upload it to Shapeways or similar website and a few days later the finished part arrives. Piece of cake to make anything now. Should be ordering my first home-built Trek model tomorrow.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh...whatcha making?
Got a pic?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Member # 1203

can you make a 3d object from 2d scans of a item? say if you have front, side and top views?

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason, here's what I'm getting made into a real model...

USS Kilimanjaro

Just a simple kitbash I made for a friend, but he wants a model of it himself so I used it as my first test.

The thing is, 3D printing needs models that fit a very strict set of criteria in how they're built. Not only must the model be physically able to support its own weight, but the mesh itself can have NO errors and must be 'watertight'. I had to build the model again completely from scratch using different techniques, and spend ages debugging the mesh so it was perfectly sealed. I also made the saucer and secondary hull hollow inside, as you are charged by volume and material selection, so the less volume the smaller the price. Lastly I simplified some of the detail and exaggerated some things like the depth of the windows so they'll show up on the physical model.

PW, you need a 3D mesh rather than just plans. Just ask Reverend about how much is missing from 2D plans when you try to turn them into 3D. There are experimental programs out there that will make a textured 3D mesh from photos, but none released yet that I know of. This means you need to learn a 3D package or get someone to make your model for you. There are a ton of models on the site anyway made by others, one might fit the bill for you.

I'm going to upload my Kili mesh today and order a model of it. It's worldwide delivery within 10 days, so when it arrives I'll post pictures of the thing.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The man's right. It takes a lot of work to get even a relatively simple design like a shuttle from a set of plans to a decent 3D mesh with lots of back and forth, cutaway diagrams and a bunch of things that just don't show up in an orthographic plan...and that's on the very rare occasion when the plans are drawn accurately with no errors or creative enhancements (aka cheating.)

I think out of all the designs Axeman and myself collaborated on, the only one that went reasonably smoothly was the Korolev's yacht, much to our mutual shock. You'd think all those compound curves would bugger us up, but it actually worked out surprisingly well.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Teh PW
Member # 1203

quote:
Originally posted by Axeman 3D:
Jason, here's what I'm getting made into a real model...

USS Kilimanjaro

Not very Original, Axe *grins* A TMP Kelvin... but honestly, the Kelvin herself isn't original, herself, i think when you look at some of the fan/Fasa/SFB designed in the past based on the Hermes/Saladin design...

still, it's a pretty ship, Ax. you actually gonna get a injection mold of that frame? o.O

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

Nope. Not my design anyway, it was by a guy called Robert Freedman who asked nicely so I made it for him. I despise kitbashes with a passion, all those fuckin cut & paste horrors on Starship Schematics website make me gag, but this was easy so it got made. It grew on me, so I made my own design based on it but never worked it up beyond a basic test model...

USS Robertson

Finished the mesh this morning and uploaded it in 3 sizes to Shapeways. Go to www.shapeways.com and do a quick search for kilimanjaro and you'll find them. The prices go by material and size, which you can select on the right hand side menu, and it will give you an idea of how much this nonsense costs. The secondary hull and saucer are actually mainly hollow, so solid versions would be even more expensive. have to watch wall thickness though, or it caves in.

Great for making game pieces (shit hot Monopoly charachters or micromachines) but expensive for large models. If I wanted to crank out lots of large models I'd make it in pieces like a resin kit, then make moulds from that. Not sure what to do next, might convert a shuttle and see how that looks. Anyway, I've ordered a mid-sized Kilimanjaro model to see how it turns out in Alumide. Cant wait!

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Axe. Great stuff. Never heard of Shapeways. *Bookmarked for prop making* Would love to see how this comes out. Frankly, I'm a bit afraid it's not going to balance on that one nacelle...
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

There's a load of companies out there that let you upload a model and get a quote for a '3d print', but Shapeways seem to be the biggest aimed at allowing anyone to upload anything. Most of the rest are still touting primarily to business and design studios, not tapping into the home and small business market at all. I plan to set up a shop on Shapeways so people can order stuff online, I'll start making stuff that's somewhat more commercial or saleable to put there. So far it's just the Kili in 3 sizes and the C57-D saucer from Forbidden Planet.

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's always a RepRap if you just wanna go nuts making stuff.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps