Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Probably tastes like chicken.... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Probably tastes like chicken....
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man am I glad I asked Jenny McCarthy to babysit my cat dressed like a lumberjack while I went out to IKEA for novelty wash cloths.
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does she still do A2M films?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, now she just does kill-children-with-obsolete-diseases-because-she-thinks-medicine-is-fake films.
Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the kind of bread Jenny receives from the alternative medicine people, I'd eat a mess of novelty wash cloths.

And speaking of loopy dames, today I saw this thing. Perhaps not as premeditated as the thread topic, but the end result would've surely been the same, had it not been for the intervention of human beings.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I saw an article on that on some online version of some British paper. I love how people will freak out so much about a cat in a bin for 15 hours but let so many crimes against humans go with nary a "hell no."
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our tolerance for animal cruelty is far lower than that of cruelty towards humans- the animals that usually get abused are dependant on humans for everything and everyone has had a pet at some point in their life.

That unconditional love gets pets a lot of sympathy.

Except chimpanzees- those fuckers practice infanticide.
I say we let Revlon do with them what they will!

As to crazy Jenny, I'm sure she sleeps better knowing that Polio is making an unprecedented comeback. Maybe she can get a gig promoting leg braces and wheelchairs for all those kids.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wish people would realize it isn't love so much as dependence, like you say...I don't believe animals are capable of love in the same way humans are. Cuz they're not humans.
Teh PW
Member # 1203

isn't love in its lesser, more simplier math... dependence? o.O 'cause you make a very cool point, Danny...

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Daniel:
quote:
I just wish people would realize it isn't love so much as dependence, like you say...I don't believe animals are capable of love in the same way humans are. Cuz they're not humans.
Um, you're not capable of elephant love, either. And not just because you lack an erection you could part your hair with (unlike yours truly). All the provable qualities in love that humans have exist among animals too. The qualities of love we claim are unique to us are subjective and undefinable.

To turn it completely around, the love a child has towards a parent can be just as transparent "dependence" affection as that from a pet. A child could be just as "loving" towards a distant grandparent or kind total stranger who provided the same roof, food, bed and hugs as "mommy", especially if mommy and daddy were frigid assholes.

Regarding dependence, many animals can still be loyal to a person despite doing their own hunting or foraging, because of social bonding. To the point of self-sacrifice, if necessary.

In short, don't waste too much energy telling people to look their gift horses/kitties/puppies in the mouth. People realize it's not love they get from animals, but animals (even snakes) know about mutual gratification, and that's what counts.

I know it can be irritating to see people waste a minor fortune on pulling out some prize animal stuck in a mine, and yet not waste a penny on a village being decimated by smog nextdoor, but that's just how we work. We are taught from birth to respond to symbols (and billboards).

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nim's right on this- animals may love in their own species-specific way, but it's still love.

No animal is showing dependence when it give affection- it's not like they believe the food will stop coming if they are not nice- some animals are loving and others are jerks regardless.

Animals are more vulnerable to human depravity and so we get more upset when we learn of them being abused.
Same with children- there's a knee-jerk reaction to defend them from harm.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Nim's right on this- animals may love in their own species-specific way, but it's still love.

No animal is showing dependence when it gives affection- it's not like they believe the food will stop coming if they are not nice- some animals are loving and others are jerks regardless.
Yoy become part of their pack/family and they become part of yours.

Animals are more vulnerable to human depravity and so we get more upset when we learn of them being abused.
Same with children- there's a knee-jerk reaction to defend them from harm.

[ August 28, 2010, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Well, agree to disagree on this one. It depends a lot on definitions too. I mean, like Nim basically said, try defining love.
Teh PW
Member # 1203

i went out on a date yesterday eve... after a hour fiaco at Starbucks (where is she?)[In the Car, nervous](why didnt she call?)[She texted you twist, dumb shit but the phone was in your pocket with the tomtom which abosorbs vibrations when you engroosed on yuotube, you stupid dumb shit!], we waited an hour for to see 'teh expendables' which ended up being 5 good guys vs 5 bad guys instead of the 10 good guys vs the planet. still glorious mindless violence... and after the giggles and laughter, when we parted... and i got home, traded textes making sure we both gots the home safes... i got into the house, to be interogated by Trouble, who thought [We going out/you gonna make a hamjd sandwich for me to share/ kitty crack 4 me?]...

im pretty sure lady just perked her ears, listened, lawned then went back to sleep...

my cats rule the house. i just rent... [Smile]

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Daniel:
quote:
Well, agree to disagree on this one. It depends a lot on definitions too. I mean, like Nim basically said, try defining love.
What I said was that when it comes to that, we are more like animals than animals are unlike us. It might seem trivial to you but in social anthropology, it's certainly a big deal. ;

But the main point here was "What's the big fuss about one cat, when humans are more important?". That's a bit of a blind spot, it's only half of the issue in this case. What if it hadn't been an old lady, but a 30-year old kindergarten teacher? What if the garbage bin had instead been a lidded waterfilled barrel? And what if this wasn't the first time?

What affects people in news like this isn't just the victim but the perp, hence the picketing outside her house. Lack of empathy is a really bad road to go down, especially when combined with disgust towards trusting creatures, too often these are a gateway to sociopathy. That's why animal rights organizations have an important part to play in society (even though they get portrayed as soft and melodramatic by some), because they are just as much protecting humans as animals, by confronting and holding to account behavior that, if unchecked, lessens us as a group.
[/sermon

As for people not caring about human suffering in the news, that's media desensitization, one of the greatest tragedies of the 20th century.

Teh PW
Member # 1203

or simple mathmatics...

as long as Mother Nature/the bad guy with the gun & loose morals/evil dictator bent on world reconstruction keeps reminding us that, regardless of our so-called high morals & belief systems that we estemm to achieve, survivors of the fittest will still toss all your religious devices into the fire to keep it going during the zombie fail-nation/dead-to-the-world/aliens attack...

but yeah, nobody cares what happens in Boreno... they are too busy worried about whats going on Boreno Street...

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps