Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » TMBG

Author Topic: TMBG
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you (and you know who you are) who might be interested, TMBG appeared on a special program about Robotics and computers on ABC with Ted Koppel last night.

Their drummer challenged a multipurpose robot named COG to a drumming contest.

Beat the silicon pants off it, too. This was to demonstrate how far robotics still has to come to equal human capacaties.. I think.

There was a nice song about the contest, though.

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup...there's six more episodes of that show left, and TMBG will be on three of those. They've already been on the first two.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"I received an emotional letter of complaint after a strip in which Dilbert used the expression 'jeepers cripes.' The writer chastised me for using the Lord's name in vain. I can only pray that the almightly Gosh will not darn me to heck for offending his son, Jeepers." - Scott Adams

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can think of a lot of heavy metal drummers who could probably outdrum TMBG's drummer. I haven't heard one song that I can recall from the group, but I doubt they are very speedy. I also didn't see the program so most likely I'm talking out of my ass. But really, I think it would be stupid to make the contest so obvious that you knew the human would win.
I mean let's say that John Bonham was still alive, or that robotics was quite advanced in 1972. Would you need to go ahead with the test to know that Bonham--indisputably one of the best drummers since the invention of drumming--would win?
A robot that can play "Moby Dick" or "Bonzo's Montreux" flawlessly would be something to see and hear.

------------------
"What is that? A tank?"
--Our Lord and Savior David Koresh, the Second Coming snuffed out before He could any good.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically, Dan Hickey isn't part of TMBG. They are and will always remain just John and John.

Anyway, I can't quite recall any of his previous gigs, but he's been a heavy metal drummer before, if I recall correctly.

And I thought Cog handled itself rather well, really. I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn up on the next album. Honest.

(As far as world's greatest (living) drummers go, I'll put my vote in for Yuval Gabay. Not widely known, but damned talented.)

------------------
"We took a small flight, in the middle of the night, from one tiny place to another."
--
Ben Folds Five

Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil Peart of Rush. I saw them in concert when they passed through Toronto a few years ago, on their "Counterparts" tour, and was amazed.

------------------
Josh: I think they're getting to know each other a bit too well, if you catch my drift.
Me: Oh, I agree. I think they're spending too much time together, that is of course, if you catch my drift.
Asher: I think he's *ucking her, and he's cheating on his wife, and he's risking his marriage, and if his wife finds out about it she'll leave him and take their son, and his life will be ruined. If you catch my drift...

IP: Logged
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, not that it will count for much, I'll put my vote in for the best drummers. It's a three way tie actually and they are:

Jeff Hamilton
Max Roach
Jeff "Tane" Watts

Jazz drummers all.

------------------
I'll keep it short and sweet. Family, religion, friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. When opportunity knocks, you don't want to be driving to a maternity hospital or sitting in some phony-baloney church. Or synagogue.
~C. Mongomery Burns

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They might be Giants rule!

------------------
Saving the world: $50.
Saving the universe: $1,000,000
Saving your marraige: Sorry, I don't do that.

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, yeah ok. So just what do these "They Might be Giants" people do? I assume they are some music group...

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan
www.pyros.org

Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sooo.....this IS a BAND we're talking about, right? Finally figured it out...

------------------
Don't you hate it when you can't think of a signature?

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Votes for Neil Peart. I know the Jazz drummers may be better, but Neil is the best I've seen live.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, they MIGHT be giants.

------------------
"S`io credessi che mia rispota fosse
A persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
Questa fiamma staria senza piu' scosse.
Ma perciocche` giammai di questo fondo
Non torno` vivo alcun, s`i`odo il vero,
Senza tema d`infamia ti rispondo."

- Dante`

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well I can't explain it, because I don't know what it is."

Click me, baby. Do it!

------------------
"We took a small flight, in the middle of the night, from one tiny place to another."
--
Ben Folds Five

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps