Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Letters to the Future (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Letters to the Future
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I first read about this on Discover magazine. A French artist named Jean-Marc Philippe is building a "time capsule" called KEO to send into space that is designed to fall back to Earth after 50,000 years. He's hoping to send as many letters as possible, stored on CDs for the future humans to read (assuming we still exist). Everyone's allowed 6000 words in any language.

KEO.org

------------------
"I would be delighted to offer any advice I can on understanding women. When I have some, I'll let you know."
--Picard to Data, "In Theory"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, someone might use it for target practice, like the Klingons did with that unrelated spacegoing thing.

------------------
The Molybdenum Home Page

Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure in fifty thousand years everyone will have CD-ROM capabilities.

------------------
Josh: I think they're getting to know each other a bit too well, if you catch my drift.
Me: Oh, I agree. I think they're spending too much time together, that is of course, if you catch my drift.
Asher: I think he's *ucking her, and he's cheating on his wife, and he's risking his marriage, and if his wife finds out about it she'll leave him and take their son, and his life will be ruined. If you catch my drift...

IP: Logged
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are instructions on how to build one if one doesn't exist in the future.

------------------
"I would be delighted to offer any advice I can on understanding women. When I have some, I'll let you know."
--Picard to Data, "In Theory"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if Earth becomes the Planet of the Apes and they can't read????

"A planet where apes evolved from men?"

------------------
You can't go wrong with cocktail weenies! They taste as good as they look, and they come with this delicious red sauce. It looks like ketchup. It tastes like ketchup. But brother, it ain't ketchup!
~Homer Simpson

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm.

Homer: "I'll handle this one. We'll be perfectly fine, unless we land on that horrible planet of the apes. Wait a minute...Statue of Liberty...that was OUR planet! And you blew it up! You bastards! Damn you, damn you all to hell!"

------------------
"We took a small flight, in the middle of the night, from one tiny place to another."
--
Ben Folds Five

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so glad that Sol and I share the same brain on occasion.

------------------
You can't go wrong with cocktail weenies! They taste as good as they look, and they come with this delicious red sauce. It looks like ketchup. It tastes like ketchup. But brother, it ain't ketchup!
~Homer Simpson

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think many countries are making a time capsule for the future. We're (the UK) making a time capsule about what British life is like at the end of this millennium and it will apparently be buried under the millennium dome where people in 1000 years time can look at and see what we were like and what life was like. The government asked schools to contribute towards what should be put in the capsule, and the response included a car and posters of the Spice Girls.

That'll teach the government not to put anything like this to children again.

------------------
Do business with us, or we'll ruin you.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol's post reminds me of that Outer Limits with Wil Wheaton.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Added a letter to the list, saying: "Hope you are having a wonderful time, wish we were there".

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... Let's see here... The instructions for buliding a CD reader are in "simple symbolic language". Why not write them in one of the languages of today? I mean, if the people of the year 52001 (though I really hope they'll have a better calender system by then) can't translate the languages we have now, it won't do them much good to build the CD reader, because they won't be able to read any of the letters!

------------------
Jackson: "This tastes like chicken..."
Carter: "What's wrong with that?"
Jackson: "It's macaroni and cheese."
-Stargate: SG-1, "The First Commandment"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Party-pooper!

[sulks]

[Opened edit screen just for the following...]

What's this?

A link to cars.com in the banner?!

WOO-HOO! [clicks]

(I love that site. I go there daily even when it doesn't help CC.)

------------------
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited August 12, 1999).]

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've all seen Star Trek I. Now see Star trek XI.
Enterprise E finds another anamole like Vger. This time it is a time capsule sent from Earth almost five hundred years ago. It ends up destroying the Federation and the dominion.

------------------
Saving the world: $50.
Saving the universe: $1,000,000
Saving your marraige: Sorry, I don't do that.

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps something written would be better than a CD. We can still dechipher Egyptian hyroglyphics after millennia thanks to artifacts like the rosetta stone, and the written word has proved itself to be superior to most "modern" information storage media in withstanding the wear and tear of the ages.

As for the contents? Perhaps a cryogenically preserved Monty clone? Or a set of fake histories that tell of the advanced civilisation of squirrels that have dogged humanity's progress for centuries? Or a complete DVD set of Trek to date?

Aw hell, let's try something more ..EEEEvillll. (bites pinkie)
How about one of those last smallpox samples? Unleash it insidiously on the happy carefree people of the future, who will live in utopia while we rotted in our own filth back in the 20th C. That'll teach them....

(nurses seize Monty and draghim off)
NaaaaaRGh! No mOrE MediICINe!!! Urrr...

------------------
Taking foxiness to the rim of the final frontier....
I shall return.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, mMonty must have escaped for a while.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps