Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Windows Y2K glitch

Author Topic: Windows Y2K glitch
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or "a friend sent this to me."

You may think your PC is "Y2K" compliant, and some little tests may have actually affirmed that your hardware is compliant, and you may even have a little company sticker affixed to your system saying "Y2K Compliant"...but you'll be surprised that Windows may still crashes unless you do this simple exercise below. Easy fix but something Microsoft seems to have missed in certifying their their software as Y2K compliant.
This is simple to do, and but VERY important.
Click on "START".
Click on "SETTINGS".
Double click on "Control Panel".
Double click on "Regional settings" icon (look for the little world globe),not the date and time icon. "Regional Settings"

Click on the "Date" tab at the top of the page. (last tab on the top right). Where it says, "Short Date Sample", look and see if it shows a "two digit" year format ("YY").

Unless you've previously changed it (and you probably haven't) -- it will be set incorrectly with just the two Y's.. it needs to be four ("yyyy")! That's because Microsoft made the 2 digits setting the default setting for Windows 95, Windows 98 and NT.
This date format selected is the date that Windows feeds *ALL* application software and will not rollover into the year 2000. It will roll over to the year 00.
Click on the button across from "Short Date Style" and select the option that shows, "mm/dd/yyyy" or "m/d/yyyy". (Be sure your selection has four y's showing, not just "mm/dd/yy).
Then click on "Apply".
Then click on "OK" at the botton.

------------------
"I would be delighted to offer any advice I can on understanding women. When I have some, I'll let you know."
--Picard to Data, "In Theory"

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. They're pulling your leg. There isn't a 4-digit year option in the Short Date window. Below that is the Long Date that gives the full 4 digits, and is the 'real' date held inside the computer. I think we'd have heard about it if it'd been otherwise, don't you?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All this changes is how your computer displays the date. Microsoft has a page up about this in its "antihoax" section, but I don't have the URL handy.

------------------
"Hey Mr. Boo, fly away home. Your house is so lovely, your children so nice."
--
Hello (The Band)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps