Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The daily ritual...

Author Topic: The daily ritual...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's shortly after supper. I rise from my chair and go into the garage. There's a bag of garbage to carry out to the dumpster. I pick it up and open the back door.

A black and white streak shoots at me from across the yard. Buster, the dog, eagerly runs in tight, imperfect circles around my legs. The circles are imperfect because his tail is wagging so furiously it throws him off course. Sometimes I almost trip over him, but today I don't.

I open the back gate and walk over to the dumpster. Buster waits impatiently just inside the gate. He peers at me, quivering in anticipation.

I return to the back yard, closing the gate behind me. Buster runs alongside, leaping into the air every step or so, trying to lick my hand as we return to the garage.

Just inside the door is a 5 gallon tub. It used to hold birdseed, but now it holds the object of Buster's attention: DOGFOOD! I scoop out a cup and pour it into the bowl.

Buster shoots to the bowl and sniffs. He looks at it and sniffs again. Finally he looks at me as if to say "That's it?!?" and trots out into the yard.

Yep. Every time.

--Baloo

------------------
How do I do it?
I have an advantage.
I remember how to open a dictionary.

[This message was edited by Baloo on April 17, 1999.]

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry, Baloo. My cats are the exact same way. The ungrateful little mousers...

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't understand. I'm not dissappointed, I'm immensely amused. This happy creature eats the same old thing for weeks on end, yet every time, it's "Oh, yeah! That stuff. Why was I excited?"

--Baloo

------------------
I came home the other night and tried to open the door with my car keys...and the building started up. So I took it out for a drive. A cop pulled me over for speeding. He asked me where I live... "Right here".
-- Steven Wright

[This message was edited by Baloo on April 18, 1999.]

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, it's the same way with my cats. They've gotten themselves fat off the food I've fed them. They love the stuff, but they always initially turn their noses up at the stuff. I'm somewhat amused, but it also makes me think my cats are really weird. Like their owner.

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dog jumps on and sniffs at everyone that comes into our house. The funny part is that, if they walk out and come back in a minute later, she does it all over again like they're someone completely different...

My dog's an idiot. :-)

------------------
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."
-George Orwell's Animal Farm

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dog is the stupidest dog ever . He cannot catch anything whatsoever, and he can't smell a treat a foot away unless he sees it.

------------------
"I have come to the conclusion that one man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three on the law become a congress! And by God I have had this Congress!"
--John Adams, "1776"

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Dani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you people wonder what your problem is? Trade your pets in for a ferret, they're much more amusing.

Not only are they cute, but they'll also guard your socks with their precious little lives. Now in a society like ours, where so many socks go missing (remember that Ren & Stimpy episode?) you would NOT beleive what a valuable trait this can be in a domestic animal.

Furthermore, I hear they now use them at the airport to dig through peoples suitcases sniff out drugs...

Stop looking at me like that...

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Ferrets! Whoo hoo!

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly enough, I do remember that R&S cartoon... :-)

And I think I'll keep my dog. I'd rather not have little weasels running around my house... *makes a quick escape before Dani sees that* :-)

------------------
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."
-George Orwell's Animal Farm

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do ferrets poing like Kiki?

And then there's ferret-shock.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Quintesson: "You are the Autobot named Kup. You are Cybertron's chief of security."
Kup: "Nah, my name's Teaspoon, and I'm Cybertron's chief dishwasher."

[This message was edited by The Shadow on April 19, 1999.]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend (who I once tried to steal away from her then-fiancee/now-husband, but that's another story) who owns a couple of ferrets. They're cool little scamps, amazingly flexible critters, cute in a feral sort of way... but their pee stinks to high heaven.

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our dogs act the same way,but will eat almost anything. Sometimes one of them will circle their food without eating, just guarding it from other dogs. Neighborhood is full of dogs.

------------------
Down for Upgrade

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*did not realize his cat was not the only one like this...*

------------------
"Audaces fortuna juvat."
"Fortune favours the bold."

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Our youngest cat has a severe eating disorder. She'll eat anything, anytime. Sometimes she sits on the lowered dishwasher door and cleans the dishes for us. She pushes our other 13 year old cat out of the way and eats his food. Note this is after she ate hers. She's on diet food now, but it costs a fortune and she's still fat (everybody who visits us says "oh my, what a fat little animal")
When she jumps off the table she makes noise because the air is pressed out of her under her extreme weight. It sounds roughly like [mook!]
Worst thing, we thought it was a male when we bought her. Turned out to be female. Way more expensive (sterilisation and such)..
But damnit, she's so cute..

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps