Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Man trapped in French airport by red tape

Author Topic: Man trapped in French airport by red tape
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I'm not kidding. Read this article (those of you who remember the last time I posted a similar article should note it's been updated since).

Further evidence that real life is wierder than fiction.

--Baloo

------------------
You can only take offense if you brought some with you.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited August 23, 1999).]

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He, He, what a cool Catch-22 .

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos:-) )

[This message has been edited by HMS White Star (edited August 24, 1999).]

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does he bathe? o_O

------------------
"I told you. You're dead. This is the afterlife. And I'm God."
--Q to Picard, "Tapestry".

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the article the Times ran about the situation...

~~~

PARIS--Talk about airport delays.

Merhan Karimi Nasseri has waited patiently in Charles de Gaulle airport for the past 11 years, sleeping on a red plastic bench, hoping for official political refugee status.

Now, the 54-year-old Iranian native can leave his airport home if he wants: Belgium has granted him refugee credentials.

"We are very pleased for him," said Dominique Deladrier, the Belgian consul in Paris. "If we had known the extent of his dilemma earlier, wecould have straightened this out a long time ago."

Nasseri, frail with long thinning hair, sunken eyes and hollow cheeks, arrived at Charles de Gaulle in August 1988 after bouncing around Europe
with no documents, a victim of bureaucratic bungling and a string of bad luck.

Since then, Europe's increasingly strict immigration and refugee laws, and Nasseri's deteriorating mental state, have kept him trapped in a legal no man's land.

Those close to him say the years of living in the underground terminal have taken a toll on his mental state, and they doubt he will ever leave.

"I hope he will take off soon because it isn't normal or healthy to live underground in an airport terminal," said Philippe Bargain, the airport's doctor, who has tried to help Nasseri. "But the problem is that
he is afraid to leave. He has become fossilized here."

The Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees in Belgium granted Nasseri refugee status July 2. The documents allow him to travel to Belgium, where he would be provided shelter and counseling.

Nasseri, nicknamed Alfred by the airport staff, says he was surprised when the papers were delivered. But he is insecure about leaving Terminal One, where airport employees have given him food, clothing and pocket
change, and he has become a minor celebrity among passengers.

"Eventually, I will leave the airport," he said, smoking a pipe on his bench in the terminal Tuesday. "But I am still waiting for a passport or transit visa."

Nasseri was born in Soleiman, a part of Iran then under British jurisdiction, to an Iranian father and a British mother. He left Iran to study in England in 1974. When he returned, he was imprisoned for
protesting against the shah and expelled without a passport.

He went to Europe, where he applied for political asylum in several countries. In 1981, the UNHCR in Belgium gave him refugee credentials, but his briefcase containing the refugee certificate was stolen in a
Paris train station.

French police later arrested him, but because he had no official documents, there was no country to which he could be deported. He has been at the Paris airport ever since.

His daily routine consists of showering in staff facilities, writing in his diary, reading magazines and surveying passing travelers.

"He's a part of the airport now," said Ute Lamberton, a ticket agent for Lufthansa Airlines. "He's like a prisoner told he is free after years in jail. I'm not sure he could make it on the outside."

------------------
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
~ C. Mongomery Burns

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This makes me quite worried...

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Dani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I read about this guy a couple of months ago... Kind of scary, actually.

------------------
"You're just about as useful as .JPGs to Helen Keller."

- Weird Al (It's All About The Pentiums)

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No loitering laws in France?

On the plus side: after the first three years, the Hare Krishnas stopped trying to give him literature.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps