Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » An interesting problem

Author Topic: An interesting problem
HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HMS White Star here with a wierd problem, I am perhaps one of the few people in the country to have this problem I can get either keep my current Cable Modem service (which surprisingly I have had very few problems) or should I get an ADSL system, technically it's a ASDL lite but it seems faster than my Cable Modem (I think). However the Cable Modem is cheaper than the ADSL. Hmmm I think I got to call the phone company and ask for info.

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos and a d*mn lucky b*st*rd:-) )

[This message has been edited by HMS White Star (edited September 19, 1999).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get ADSL. The whole cable modem thing is just a poorly-implemented hack.

------------------
Frank's Home Page - free pencil with every armadillo!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ASDL? Hm... *is reminded of a teacher at his high school who talked about "ADM K6" processors* :-)

------------------
"Maybe they're trying to breed them..."
-guy in my math class, suggesting a reason for there being two overhead projectors in the classroom

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where do you live?
Here in Mississauga, Ontario ADSL is roughly equivalent to cable modem, not any better but not any worse.
My personal experience since I have ADSL but not cable is that ADSL is pretty good, some teething problems though.

------------------
Game over man, game over! - Hudson(Aliens)

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the difference between ASDL, ISDN and T1 connections? What do those acronyms stand for?

------------------
"Freedom is best, I tell thee true, of all things to be won. Then never live within the bond of slavery, my son." - The real William Wallace

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, ASDL doesn't stand for anything, because it's a typo. ADSL, on the other hand, stands for "Asymmetric Dedicated Service Line".

ISDN I can never remember, though one source has it as "It Still Does Nothing". :-)

------------------
-guy in my math class, suggesting a reason for there being two overhead projectors in the classroom

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ADSL is Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line, one of a few types of *DSL connections that are very fast but run on regular phone wire.

ISDN is (I think) Integrated Services Digital Network, another type of digital connection, but they only go up to 128 Kbps.

A T1 is usually a dedicated connection (like a frame relay) operating at 1.544 Mbps (although there are slower versions often called "fractional T1s"). These are generally the best kind of connections, but are also the most expensive.

------------------
Frank's Home Page - free pencil with every armadillo!

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the reason that xDSL (I mess up the first time so sue me, so now I call it the way CNet does) and Cable modems big advangeage over T-1 connections is that there speed is very close to a T-1 at a faction of the Cost (a decatedated T-1 will run you several thousand a month, while and xDSL or a Cable modem with a ton of bandwidth will only cost a faction of that).

I live in Memphis, TN. Actually I should check to see if I can get the service there is map that says I should be able to get it but I wonder if I is true?

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos and a d*mn lucky b*st*rd:-) )

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, even with a frame relay you're guaranteed a certain amount of bandwidth, but that often isn't the case with cable modems. And you usually can't run a Web server off of a cable modem without angering the cable company.

The *DSL connections are pretty nifty, though...the only problem is you have to be close to a telco central office/access point/etc.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Yes, I routinely run any car with Canadian plates off the road. It makes it easier to yank them out, blind them, and put them to work in my underground salt mine." - Simon Sizer

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line... Right... Um... Ignore what I said. I knew it was "Asy-" something. And I just kind of inserted the one translation of DSL... I'm just stupid these days... :-)

------------------

HMS White Star
Member # 174

Actually on the web site of Bell South ASDL (lite) says that they don't guarantee a min bandwidth. Here is the disclaimer, "The actual speed experienced by customers will be variable and depend on several
factors including customer location, destination on the Internet, interference with high frequency spectrum on the customer's telephone line, etc. No minimum level of speed is guaranteed."

Here is were I got that from http://www.bellsouth.net/external/adsl/faq.html

------------------

[This message has been edited by HMS White Star (edited September 19, 1999).]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps