Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Hello (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hello
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a sense of purpose. My purpose is to ruthlessly smite people who ask me if I have a sense of purpose.

*smite*

There. I have fulfilled my purpose in life.

------------------
"Alright... Who wrote 'Beavis and Butthead rule' on the back of my skull?"

- Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek Parody, The Critic

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*hides thread from TSN in an effort to halt Liam from becoming a carcass*

Wow, a second poster... Welcome, Omyara (Any significance to the name that we all should know?). Pull up a couch and make yourself at someone's else's home. Charles's.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

says Hi to Omyara, as he waves flag in a Bufoonish manner.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo's cousin?!

Run away!!!

Just kidding, gravie, and welcome to the forums. You too, Omyara.

*Chuckles evily to himself, because Elim doesn't realize that Omega hates people saying that the Millenium starts January 1, 2000 easily as much as TSN does*

*Smites PsyLiam*

Does this get me any higher on that list of yours? : )

Oh, and a few more suggestions for our newcomers. To avoid being smited yourself, NEVER start a thread about the length of the Defiant. You probably don't want to start a religious debate, as the only way to get me to shut up would be for everyone else to stop posting to the thread. Finally, if you haven't already, watch "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". It's essential for understanding some of the jokes in this forum. (Not to mention the mentality of some of the people!)

First One:

Yours? I was under the impression that Jubes and Chu - I mean Charles were an "item". Explination, please?

*Thinks a moment*

No, wait. Don't tell me. Upon reflection, I don't want to know.

------------------
"By all means, take the moral high ground -- all that heavenly backlighting makes you a much easier target."
- Solomon Short

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, one and all. You will find this place a haven for misguided ideas, thinly-disguised sexism, and Pokemon haters.

Onwards, Forumites!

------------------
The unexplained phenomenon that crippled the U.S.S. Unimpeachable --
Gaseous Anomaly...
What anomalises gaseously.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Millennium. Two Ns.

And I hate the fact that people think the third millennium starts next year, too. Drives me insane.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I hate people who think that people who say that the millenium starts next year are saying that because they are stupid. They are wrong. Very wrong.
The millenium starts next year because...well, look at it:

See how many numbers changed there? ALL OF THEM!

Now look:

See how many changed there? Do you? It was one. One pathetic little number. Who cares. next year we get to through out all those cheque books and forms where you have to fill in the date, but they're already printed 19__. What fun is there for 2001? Waiting for a big black obelisk to be dug up on the moon? Woopee.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."

-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you're all taking notes.

Until January 1, 2000 (and perhaps a little later) the easiest way to start a long, rambling, pointless thread (or derail one that isn't) is to opine that the millennium starts in 2000.

Or 2001.

Either way. These remarks attract dissenting opinions like a bare porch light attracts flying insects. Both are just as much fun.

--Baloo

P.S. I have it on good authority that the Millennium actually started a coupla years ago. Deal with it!

------------------
Archives are a thing of the past.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Millenium Falcon has one n for some reason.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Yes, I routinely run any car with Canadian plates off the road. It makes it easier to yank them out, blind them, and put them to work in my underground salt mine." - Simon Sizer

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easy. The guy who painted the name on the hull (yeah, I know you can't see it anywhere) charged by the letter.

--Baloo

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, they don't use Roman alphabet derivatives in SW.

"*pst*, what about in ANH, where Ben turned off the tractor beam?"

Quiet you!

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Monolith was dug up in '99. The movie ends about 18 months later, in '01. Which IS the start of the millennium, for this reason. When the A.D. dating system was created, the Romans had no concept of a zero. Thus the first year of the calender (and the first year of the first decade, century, and millennium, therefore) was year 1. And if the first year of the first millennium was 1, then the first year of the third millenium would be 2000 years later, or 2001.

------------------
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
- H. L. Mencken

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Gravie: You see what I mean?

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Baloo's right, which is why I'm going to resist the urge to...no...can't...stop...myself.

Look, everyone KNOWS that there wasn't a year 0, and that it shouldn't start until 2001. We don't care. We like living in ignorance. And if we're a tthe pub and someone says that we shouldn't celebrate the millenium unti next year, then we spend a full 45 minutes pointing and laughing at them for being a pedantic arse.

Still, that Jesus eh? Cor, what was that all about?

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the current calendar system wasn't started until the fifth or sixth century, and it was by a Christian monk, not a Roman. They certainly had a concept of zero by then, they just didn't use it. I mean, they guy was off by at least four years to begin with, so what can you expect...?

------------------
"Maybe they're trying to breed them..."
-guy in my math class, suggesting a reason for there being two overhead projectors in the classroom

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps