Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Oxymorons...

Author Topic: Oxymorons...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Courtesy of my cousin. I don't agree with all of 'em but the last one...?

Dead on!

The Top 37 Oxymorons

37. Act naturally
36. Found missing
35. Resident alien
34. Advanced Basic
33. Good grief
32. Same difference
31. Almost exactly
30. Sanitary landfill
29. Alone together
28. Legally drunk
27. Silent scream
26. Small crowd
25. Soft rock
24. Butt head
23. New classic
22. Sweet sorrow
21. Childproof
20. Now, then ...
19. Synthetic natural gas
18. Passive aggressive
17. Taped live
16. Clearly misunderstood
15. Peace force
14. Extinct Life
13. Temporary tax increase
12. Computer jock
11. Plastic glasses
10. Terribly pleased
09. Political science
08. Tight slacks
07. Definite maybe
06. Pretty ugly
05. Twelve-ounce pound cake
04. Diet ice cream
03. Working vacation
02. Exact estimate
01. Microsoft Works

------------------
Archives are a thing of the past.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a resident alien and rather proud of the title.

------------------
"I told you. You're dead. This is the afterlife. And I'm God."
--Q to Picard, "Tapestry".

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Resident Alien was found missing by a small crowd of friends who visit now and then. Members of the peace force, who were legally drunk, being on a working vacation, said that the alien had been studying advanced Basic from a passive aggresive computer jock.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, I don't see military intelligence... or United Nations...

------------------
"Freedom is best, I tell thee true, of all things to be won. Then never live within the bond of slavery, my son." - The real William Wallace

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ROFLMGDFAO* ..... "Microsoft Works...." ..... *L*

------------------
"If you will not have me as myself, Perhaps as someone else. Perhaps as you, I'll be worth noticing. Then even a eunuch won't resist, The power of one kiss, from such as me.
I'll be that girl: and you would be right over. If I were a field, you would be in clover. If I were the sun, you would be in shadow. If I had a gun, there'd be no tomorrow."
~ Barenaked Ladies

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No "humble opinion" too.

Oh, and we need to add ten more to the list.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jumbo Shrimp!!

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there should be some sort of inclusion for "Fast, Friendly Service"

------------------
"If you will not have me as myself, Perhaps as someone else. Perhaps as you, I'll be worth noticing. Then even a eunuch won't resist, The power of one kiss, from such as me.
I'll be that girl: and you would be right over. If I were a field, you would be in clover. If I were the sun, you would be in shadow. If I had a gun, there'd be no tomorrow."
~ Barenaked Ladies

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if an imperative sentance can constitute an oxymoron, but here's one from "Mortal Kombat": choose your destiny. And how about peace-keeping missiles and limited nuclear war? Barely dead. A little pregnant. Alone together.

------------------
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
- H. L. Mencken

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nooooo! Alone together is an incredibly useful poetic term used to imply a situation in which two people who by all rights should be extremely close are locked away in their own worlds. The day before you break up with your girlfriend, while you're still trying to figure out what to say while you both watch the late show? You're alone together.

An example (In spirit, anyway.):

"Now that I have found someone
I'm feeling more alone
Than I ever have before"

Ben Folds Five

See?

------------------
"And much of Madness, and more of Sin, and Horror the soul of the plot."
--
The Conqueror Worm, by Edgar Allan Poe

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Native Americans.

Well, at least you lot seemed to think so.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."

-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, that depends on your definition of "alone"----Billy Jeff Clinton.

My brother might add :"happily married."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Good Pain."

and _I_ thought "alone together" meant two people who are utterly alone, except for each other, sort of a "you and me against the world" thing.

------------------
"We shall not yield to you, nor to any man." -- Freak, The Mighty.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps