Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Kosh, the early years (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Kosh, the early years
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't pass this up!!

http://www.lileks.com

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never had a nifty fishbowl helmet like that one but I remember being about 4 or 5 and wearing an "I'm a little astronaut" tee-shirt or sweater.

--Baloo

------------------
Archives are a thing of the past.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As the third oldest person here, I suppose I should contribute. Back in the 70's (I have clear memories of my 3rd birthday, ie 1973!) I was already a bit of a SF fan. Star Trek, of course - this must have been the time of the first repeats in the UK, Thunderbirds, Joe 90. . . And my Mum saw this. But could she find space-related toys anywhere? Nope. There just weren't any! I had a spaceman that looked like he came from a fifties TV show. I used wooden joining blocks to make a phaser. I remember when I got my first Enterprise toy, the one that fired the little plastic pill. . .

Good memories. So never forget how lucky you are, kids. Mattrek's mention in General Discussion of the end of the Playmates Trek range kinda moves into perspective.

------------------
"The next time the workplace seems especially hectic, remind yourself it could be worse: you could have two-dozen sharp-toothed creatures chewing on your nipples." - James Lileks

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does that make me? Second to Baloo then. (1967)

I have no memories of such horrid things...no, no I don't. I swear.

------------------
We sneaked into the nearby Peabody Museum. There, under the smiling eyes of four stuffed Eskimos, we expressed our love physically, as was the style at the time.
~ C. Mongomery Burns

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You grew up during the space race and you don't remember anything like that? Ha! Next thing you know he'll be telling us he never watched cheesy 1950's science fiction movies on Saturday afternoons or Friday nights!

--Baloo

------------------
Archives are a thing of the past.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am only saying that I won't admit to ever wearing such a helmet. That does not mean, Senator, that it never happened.

------------------
We sneaked into the nearby Peabody Museum. There, under the smiling eyes of four stuffed Eskimos, we expressed our love physically, as was the style at the time.
~ C. Mongomery Burns

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

And I won't admit to wearing any of the goofy-ass 70's clothes my mother made me wear...with the huge zippers and the Brady Bunch-God-Help-Us-We're-Morons maroon skin tight shirts. *shudder* No I won't admit to that, but it sure as hell left a scar on me.

------------------
~ C. Mongomery Burns

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay, I think you're third after Baloo.

Back when I was young (and dinosaurs walked the Earth) some guy named Leonard Nimoy was doing a persoonal appearance at a housing construction site, just as a gimmik to get people to visit the place.

My Dad took me and my brother there, and in the *long* line of fans was a guy in full Star Trek TOS uniform, complete with phaser pistol. I thought that was so cool that my Dad [quite the talented handyman] went out to his workshop and without a single picture to work from, just the memory of what he had seen, made a really nice laser gun.

Accurate? It had the right basic shape, but he'd made it out of hard wood so it was heavy, and put a couple of shiny metal bits on it.

That was twenty years ago...I 'd trade just about anything to have that hand-made toy again.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

As long as I know my place.

------------------
I took in a movie. An appalling little piece of filth. Its leading lady was a blonde harlot who spent half the film strolling around naked as a jaybird! No, just give the Great Unwashed a pair of oversized breasts and a happy ending, and they'll oink for more every time.
~C. Mongomery Burns

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My earliest toy memory was a Beanie Boy, the little boy who used to run around with Cecil the sea sick sea serpent. It's captured on 8mm film(silent). I can still remember looking Beanie boy in the eye and saying Where's Cecil. I think I was three. I had one of the first GI Joe's, in an astronaut suit. My nephew's son has it now, Joe has lost a hand some where over the years.
Just for the record, I am #2 on the geeser scale. Born 8/31/60. or 31/8/60 to our overseas friends. I have very vague memories of JFK's funeral. Strong memories of Bobby K and Martin Luther King. And the Beatles. I was 4 when they came here the first time. I have 4 older sisters and a brother, also older. My chidhood was storng in pop music, Beatles, Otis Redding, that kind of thing.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

[This message has been edited by Kosh (edited September 22, 1999).]

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My father was born two minutes after JFK was shot. My mother still thinks that's a sign of some sort.

*snort*

Wow, you guys make me feel young. My earliest Sci-Fi memories include Star Wars, dressing up like Princess Leia, eating C-3PO's for breakfast, and collecting Star Wars cards. I actually have some of the old action figures, a play set, and a few ewoks packed away somewhere I think. And the cards are stored away, if memory serves. I wonder if they're worth anything now.

------------------
"Sully, for Shame! And don't be foolish! What are we trying to practice every day? If our friendship depends on things like space and time, then when we finally overcome space and time, we've destroyed our own brotherhood! But overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don't you think that we might see eachother once or twice?"
- Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

YES

------------------

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*thinks about Jubes dressed as Princess Leia* � )

That was the slave girl outfit, though? I hope so. . .

------------------
"The next time the workplace seems especially hectic, remind yourself it could be worse: you could have two-dozen sharp-toothed creatures chewing on your nipples." - James Lileks

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember seeing Star Wars on the big screen and going "oooh" a lot. My dad and I put together over the years a nearly-complete collection of Star Wars figurines. My cousins and my brother and I had the Star Wars soundtrack on LP and play-acted along with the music. My cousin Clark played Luke, My cousin Becky played Leia, My little brother played Han... and I was relegated to playing Threepio, since I had trouble, even then, playing a convincing human.

I had an old Space:1999 ship/playset that I recently sold to a collector for an undisclosed sum.

And Shogun Warriors. Not the Godzilla one, tho.

And Micronauts interchangeable vehicles

And many of the original Transformers (which I still collect, but are increasingly hard to find in decent condition - I, on the other hand, kept ALL my boxes and instruction books.)

------------------
"We shall not yield to you, nor to any man." -- Freak, The Mighty.

JEM
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry but I've got you all beat, (except maybe one of you). Today is my 40th birthday.

Old enough to have watched Trek on the BBC the first time it was shown, (The Devil in the Dark is the first one I can remember), indeed almost as old as the Space Age itself.

And what is the secret of my youthful appearance I hear none of you ask?

Never get stressed out, never allow anything to bother you (I cause immense stress in others but that's just par for the course), generally eat and drink whatever you like (but not to excess) and thats just about it.

Oh maybe having a much younger girlfriend helps but I can't be sure!

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps