Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » In the town where I was born...

Author Topic: In the town where I was born...
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lived a man who sailed to sea
And he told us of his life
In the land of submarines
So we sailed up to the sun
Till we found a sea of green
And we lived beneath the waves
in our yellow submarine.

Oh yeah! The Beatles are back in the top 5 on the albums sold charts with of all albums, Yellow Submarine. duh.

Life is good as the current crop of crap-ass music can't beat an album that's over 30 years old!

------------------
I took in a movie. An appalling little piece of filth. Its leading lady was a blonde harlot who spent half the film strolling around naked as a jaybird! No, just give the Great Unwashed a pair of oversized breasts and a happy ending, and they'll oink for more every time.
~C. Mongomery Burns

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE Yellow Submarine! It's my all-time FAVORITE Beatles song! Well... not totally... I have a lot of other favorites, too... but you know *grin*

~Liz

------------------
The greatest single cause of athiesm in the world today are christians who acknowledge things with their lips and then walk out the door and deny them by their lifestyle.

THAT is what and unbelieving world simply finds Unbelievable.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, quite simply, the Beatles are great. As I write this I have Sgt. Pepper's on. A Day In The Life is one of the best songs ever recorded in my humble opinion of course. That is not to disparage any other form of music that turns anyone else out there one (I can do that in private if ya like ).

While growing up, the music of the Beatles opened my eyes, to a great degree, to the visceral power that music can have. To me the Beatles are to music what John Steinbeck is to writing. Grapes of Wrath was the book for me in my youth. It too, in a very real way, opened my eyes to a much larger and greater world than what I knew before.

I guess that is why I love the Beatles so much. They represent for me, along with Steinbeck and some others, a watershed in my youth. The person I am today is colored by those things. And the child I was before was left behind.

------------------
I took in a movie. An appalling little piece of filth. Its leading lady was a blonde harlot who spent half the film strolling around naked as a jaybird! No, just give the Great Unwashed a pair of oversized breasts and a happy ending, and they'll oink for more every time.
~C. Mongomery Burns

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To listen to "Day In The Life" on a good sound system is perfection. The piano chord at the end is superb. To do it, they crammed as many concert grands they could into the main studio at Abbey Road, got everyone in there they could, and all hit the same chord (I forget which: E something?) simultaneously. Took a few attempts, but then they all just sat there and listened as the reverberations died away. Added to that the full orchestra brought in just to play the full scale of every note possible. . .

And when they released Sgt. Pepper's on CD, they discovered it went on for 20 more seconds than previous music technology had been able to do!

Other trivia: the cocktail party during "Yellow Submarine" was just that, an impromptu party held in the studio with all the 'in' people of the day present; the engine sound was created by dragging a chain around inside a bathtub!

------------------
"The next time the workplace seems especially hectic, remind yourself it could be worse: you could have two-dozen sharp-toothed creatures chewing on your nipples." - James Lileks

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On disc I have: all the stuff released at the aniversery. Abby Road, Magical Mystery Tour, Sgt. Pepper, and Revolver. I'd still like to have the white album and Rubber Soul. I had it on tape at one point, but tapes don't last, and this one was true to form. I have the "Let It Be" movie, and Beatles Complete. We used to have a bunch of singles, from the old days, but I think one of my sisters took them. They had the wigs, and dolls and all that, when I was little, but I think all that is long gone.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the song "For no one" ..... and I've never heard that other one you all are talking about, but I think upon hearing about it, i'd like to. I've heard tons of Beatles music, though, my mother played it all the time. And I can say that they truly were one the best bands ever.

------------------
"Sully, for Shame! And don't be foolish! What are we trying to practice every day? If our friendship depends on things like space and time, then when we finally overcome space and time, we've destroyed our own brotherhood! But overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don't you think that we might see eachother once or twice?"
- Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beatles? I think I stepped on one....... ok, just kidding..........

No Beatle music here, mostly U2 here....... However, I do like the song "Imagine", but I think it was done by John Lennon after the Beatles broke up.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it was.

Another thing I've heard about the final piano chord of "A Day in the Life" is that there's something to it that's high-pitched enough that people can't hear it, but dogs can, and it drives them nuts. I don't know if it's true or not; it was something I heard a radio DJ mention. I haven't tested it... yet. :-)

------------------
"I've colorized the moon."
-Ted Turner, The Family Guy

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It isn't part of the chord, it's after it, before the all the jumbled together recordings at the very end.

------------------
"And much of Madness, and more of Sin, and Horror the soul of the plot."
--
The Conqueror Worm, by Edgar Allan Poe

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some friends of mine were a band for a few years. While adding on to there place, they were practiceing at mine. With a sound system big enough for bars, I had an opportunity I couldn't pass up. We played the longest cord, as it began to fade, I cranked up the volume. Dog at every home here. Nothing happened.

The story was that John had the note included on the end, just for pets. If you listen, you can hear a harmonic from the note, but not the sound itself.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I read the news today, oh boy
About a lucky man who made the grade,"

Actually, I've only ever heard 'A Day in the Life' once, and that was on a crappy tape. The next day, I unearthed my father's big old book of Beatles songs (for piano) and now play it whenever I get the chance.

I've never actually heard "For No-One" or "From a Window" (that I can recall), but I play them all the time as well. Nice.

"No-body was really sure if he was from the House of
Lords..."

------------------
The unexplained phenomenon that crippled the U.S.S. Unimpeachable --
Gaseous Anomaly...
What anomalises gaseously.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The movie came out when I was young enough to appreciate the cartoon but not old enough to appreciate all the humor.

I really like that movie.

------------------
Archives are a thing of the past.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, if it was high enough to be beyond human hearing, thne it wouldn't be on the CD version, as they cut out all sub and supersonic noise...

Although that might have been left in, as it's fairly well-known.

And all the Beatles ever did was copy Oasis songs anyway.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."

-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps