Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Watch out!

Author Topic: Watch out!
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In about five minutes, I am going to take apart my computer, install a new motherboard and a new hard drive and new RAM and a whole bunch of stuff!

I couldn't do this without a memory chip, which I might add cost me $170 because of the earthquake in Taiwan... Lets hope it was worth it. See you guys either when I get everything fixed and running, or on someone else's comp when I can't repair the damage I've done doing all this!!

------------------
"Freedom is best, I tell thee true, of all things to be won. Then never live within the bond of slavery, my son." - The real William Wallace

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Luck, dude. If you ever get to read this!!

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, I remember when I did that. I took my week, pathetic P100, and made it a lean, mean 333 PII with 3d card, 128mb, and all that jazz. And it was lovely. Until it caught fire. Ah well.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."

-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does everything you touch seem to catch fire? I� hey! What are you doing? Quit poking me! Ahh! *bursts into flame*

------------------
"I've colorized the moon."
-Ted Turner, The Family Guy

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am posting from my roommate's computer...as you can see, all is not well. I am able to get my computer to boot up to the memory check, but that is all...I keep getting cmos checksum errors...will advise when more news comes...

------------------
"Freedom is best, I tell thee true, of all things to be won. Then never live within the bond of slavery, my son." - The real William Wallace

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should get A+ Certified. That way, you can build your computer or any one in fact. And if you do become certified, you can work for a starting hourly salary of $19.50 like me.

------------------
"All you people, can't you see, can't you see
How your love's affecting our reality
Everytime we're down
You can make it right
And that makes you larger than life"

-Backstreet Boys

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried that once. Turned out I put "A1 certified" on my application instead of A+. I spent fifteen years as an inspector in a barbecue sauce plant.

------------------
"And much of Madness, and more of Sin, and Horror the soul of the plot."
--
The Conqueror Worm, by Edgar Allan Poe

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Checksum errors?! The only times I've heard of those are when an NT installation has failed, or you've added more memory to an NT machine. What are you using anyway? And have you checked all the BIOS settings are correct?

------------------
"The next time the workplace seems especially hectic, remind yourself it could be worse: you could have two-dozen sharp-toothed creatures chewing on your nipples." - James Lileks

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just don't let me touch the computer and you should be fine.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol: So, you did that when you were, what, about four? *L*

------------------
"I've colorized the moon."
-Ted Turner, The Family Guy

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Checksum error? Bad SIMM/DIMM and/or bad placement and/or you're running the memory at a higher speed than designed.

------------------
Avon: "You really do believe in taking risks, don't you?"
Tarrant: "Calculated risks."
Avon: "Calculated on what? Your fingers?"
-- Blake's Seven, Ultraworld

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

Alright, here's the deally, yo...

I have 2 dimms of 32megs RAM...I don't know if they are PC100 or not. I have one dimm of 64megs RAM that is PC100, which is what my new motherboard requires... but just having the 64 in, I still get checksum errors...so I've searched through my mb manual, and tried to config my motherboard....still get checksum errors... Now I'm very frustrated. I put my old motherboard back in, and it boots up, but everything, from bootup to windows is extremely slow... I do not have room for the 64ram at the moment, so I have the 2 32rams in. I have the 400mghz chip in the old mb as well... I also cleared the CMOS memory to get rid of the password I had on it and forgot...

SOOo.....hopefully I'll be able to do something now.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps