Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Update On Computer Situation!

Author Topic: Update On Computer Situation!
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I know its been a real drama for you guys, and you're probably on the edge of your seats and all, so here goes...

Well, I managed to format my new drive, and essentially make it useful(with the enormous help from my friend). I tried to boot up though on my old hard drive to get things going, but alas, I keep getting "Windows Protection Errors" and can only boot up in safe mode...Sooooo... I copied all my files that I wished to keep from my old drive to my new one... I now await my friend before I do what I think I should...reformat the old drive and start anew.

So that's what's going on with me...how are you guys?

------------------
"Freedom is best, I tell thee true, of all things to be won. Then never live within the bond of slavery, my son." - The real William Wallace

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Protection errors are probably caused by faulty RAM and/or PC-66 RAM running at 100 MHz...

------------------
Avon: "You really do believe in taking risks, don't you?"
Tarrant: "Calculated risks."
Avon: "Calculated on what? Your fingers?"
-- Blake's Seven, Ultraworld

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...well, the RAM should be fine...how do I fix the other problem, Cappmeister?

------------------
"Freedom is best, I tell thee true, of all things to be won. Then never live within the bond of slavery, my son." - The real William Wallace

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're running a Celeron 400 right? Then it's running at 4 x 100 MHz FSB, right? Unless your RAM is certified PC-100, you're out of luck, and with the current hellish prices due to the Taiwan earthquake, you may have to underclock...

What other error?

------------------
Avon: "You really do believe in taking risks, don't you?"
Tarrant: "Calculated risks."
Avon: "Calculated on what? Your fingers?"
-- Blake's Seven, Ultraworld

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

Hmmm... Well, I'm back on my old configuration. I have 2 32meg RAM(I think they're SDRAM) chips in my comp. I have the old 266 celeron back in(friend said to remove the 400 for now), and on the old motherboard...I'm not sure what to do...*sighs*

------------------

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Punt!

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps