Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Monty's Book Choice

Author Topic: Monty's Book Choice
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bought a new book today, but although I'm still only halfway through it I am enthusiastic enough to recommend it to you all. It's called "Future Perfect - How Star Trek conquered planet earth" by Jeff Greenwald. He talks about his travels getting to grips with Trek and its fans. So far it has shown a delightful balance of US and UK elements, and the insights into the dark and twisted human being that is Brannon Braga are worth the price of admission.

It's published by Viking (a division of Penguin), and has managed to get me into good spirits - which for me is quite an achievement. Anybody else read it?

------------------
"FOOLS! Will I have to kill them ALL?!?!"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, but I look for it. Thanks!

------------------
"One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor". George Carlin

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insights into Brannon Braga... *L* I must see this.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Careful Monty, you remember what happened when you recommended a certain chocolate confectionary to the forums don't you?

---------------------
Do business with us, or we'll ruin you.

[This message has been edited by Orion Syndicate (edited October 11, 1999).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
which chocolate confectionary!?! it wasn't Turkish Delight was it!?!

I should hang out in the dicussion section more oft.

------------------
"The story..." Londo says, "is not over yet. The story is never over."

Orion Syndicate
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wasn't Turkish Delight, it was the Orange Egg, which then led to a....thread about the VILE AND COMPLETELY UNPALATABLE CREME EGG!

I'M CALM!...I'm calm...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Orion Syndicate (edited October 11, 1999).]

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Now that you mention it, Turkish Delight is a good book too.

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a rather dodgy bokk if you ask me! Much nicer as a sweetie!

....as is a creme egg!

------------------
"FOOLS! Will I have to kill them ALL?!?!"

Orion Syndicate
Member # 25

Monty, you will die!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Orion Syndicate (edited October 13, 1999).]

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hm, I'm not even sure if Turkish Delight is indeed the English title of this book. Maybe I'm wrong. But yes, turkish delight is indeed quite nice. Especially with those crumply brittle dried banana slices. and raisins.

Feste
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's a highly entertaining book - particularly the chapter with Kate Mulgrew. I think if the Star Trek writers could work more of her wit and saltiness into Janeway there would be less Voyager bashing.

------------------
"There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne."

Bette Davis - Old Acquaintance

IP: Logged
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas! Wit and saltiness are politically incorrect.

Too bad.

--Baloo

------------------
My mind wanders, but don't worry. It's weak and can't get very far.
--Steve Allen
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dried banana slices?! *gag* I hate those things!

------------------
"It'd be a pity if every pencil on Earth suddenly collapsed in on itself and blew everything up."
-Krenim, TNO chat, September 30, 1999

Feste
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo - "Wit and saltiness are politically incorrect" - huh? Since when?

IP: Logged
Orion Syndicate
Member # 25

Well Tim, you won't get any arguments from me on this one - they are vile. There's this shop near where my parents live, and they sell all sorts of dried fruit slices amongst other horrible things. I've tried most of them hoping to find one that I like, but nothing. If you want fruit, stick with the fresher kind.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps