Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Very strange, indeed... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Very strange, indeed...
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, you were lucky if you got decapitated in one stroke. It sometimes took three or four.

------------------
"I consider the foundation of the Constitution as laid on this ground: That "all powers not delegated to the United States, by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States or to the people . . ." To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn around the powers of Congress is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition."
- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1791

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder, how do you determine when the person is dead? When their head dies, when their body dies, or both?

------------------
"It'd be a pity if every pencil on Earth suddenly collapsed in on itself and blew everything up."
-Krenim, TNO chat, September 30, 1999

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I suppose death comes when enough of one or the other sustains enough damage to render it nonfunctional. If your brain dies, the body will likely soon follow. Likewise, the body will not last long without extensive intervention if the brain takes a hike.

Actually, I'll bet the guillotine isn't painless. It's just that you'd only feel the incision along your neck. I would guess that the nerves which send pain signals to the brain attach above the point where the neck would be severed.

On the other hand, I once knew a friend who was a Vietnam vet who had been shot once or twice during his tour. He said that he didn't feel any pain for a few minutes. He knew he'd been hit, but his adrenal glands must've gone into overdrive.

My personal theory (bolstered by wee-hours collisions betwixt my toes and furniture) is that when an injury occurs, it can take several seconds before the sensation registers as pain. It's as if the nerves are saying:

"Uh-oh! This is bad! Somebody's gotta tell the brain about this!"

"Oh, no, I ain't telling the brain! You tell the brain!"

"Not me!"

"Well, somebody's gotta do it!"

"Tell ya what. We'll tell the brain on the count of three."

"Okay, I'll count: One, Two..."

"Wait! Wait! Just how bad is it?"

"I dunno, but the eyes just had a look. We'd better say something now!"

And so forth.

Actually, the Guillotine was, if not invented, then at least perfected by French physician Joseph-Ignace Guillotin. He developed and tested (on cadavers) a "machine" that would be, in the opinion of the medical community at that time (1792) a more humane form of execution than the methods currently being employed.

Here's a link to a site that gives a bit more detail:

The guillotine.

--Baloo

------------------
My mind wanders, but don't worry. It's weak and can't get very far.
--Steve Allen
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DeadCujo:

Of course they wouldn't try to hold their breath after their head was chopped off. They'd have nothing to hold it in!

------------------
"I consider the foundation of the Constitution as laid on this ground: That "all powers not delegated to the United States, by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States or to the people . . ." To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn around the powers of Congress is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition."
- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1791

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just meant they wouldn't have time to even think about it

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan
http://www.phix-it.com/~perseus/

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps