Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Eat a Twinkie, go to jail!

Author Topic: Eat a Twinkie, go to jail!
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, sort of.

Read this Article to find out why:

The Twinkie Defense

--Baloo

(And here I just thought they were only good for an afterschool snack?)

------------------
If this is the future, then where are all the flying cars?
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited November 01, 1999).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, IMO, an insanity defense shouldn't get you a lesser sentence; it should get you a greater one. We don't put murderers in jail to punish them; they're there so they can't kill more people. If a person can't tell the difference between right and wrong, that's a good reason to keep them off the streets, not put them back on them!

Bear in mind, I'm not saying that a person should be locked up for life if they're cured. However, when somebody says "my brain doesn't work right, so I didn't know it was wrong" and the system says "oh, well, then it wasn't your fault; you're free to go", there's something terribly wrong.

Anyway, plenty of people are probably going to misinterpret me and start some kind of arguement that'll get this thread on a one-way flight to Flameboardland, so I'll shut up now.

------------------
"Agh! Save me from the wee turtles!"
-Groundskeeper Willy, The Simpsons

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are correct, sir.

There is a verdict used in some places, "guilty but insane." When this verdict is given, the guilty person is put away until they can be "cured," and THEN sent to jail to serve as long a sentence as is deemed necessary.

------------------
'In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to Liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ---- Thomas Jefferson

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so tierd of people get off the hook for the dumbest stuff. Although I guess I can now go and kill people and then blame Mountain Dew because it made me sterile and that made me depressed.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh...you do realize that no one "gets off" with an insanity plea, don't you? First of all, it is seldom used, and even more rarely successful. Secondly, someone found guilty by reason of insanity is not released. They are shuffled off to a high security mental hospital. A far worse fate than prison, in my opinion. Visit one sometime.

------------------
"Stirs a large iron pot. Casting a spell on Vermont."
--
John Linnell

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently investigated these mind-altering sweets. For my review, go here. 8)
Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
remember back in '84 a nut went into a Southern California McDonald's and started shooting? [probably the basis for a similar scene in an X Files episode]

His bitch wife tried to sue McDonald's, claimed that hubby had eaten there too often and the food had made him crazy.

Don't know if she got a dime. (hope she got a tumor)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You seem...agitated tonight.

------------------
"Stirs a large iron pot. Casting a spell on Vermont."
--
John Linnell

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps