Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Perplexed by ICQ...

Author Topic: Perplexed by ICQ...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a couple of problems with ICQ. Neither one impairs the funcionality of the program, but it's annoying me no end that I can't seem to find the answers. Anyone who can help, please do.

Problem 1

I have been trying for several days to modify the sound files for my copy of ICQ. They have a few sound themes available at their website, but every time I download one and install it, there is no sound but silence.

This is bugging me no end. The instructions available at ICQ aren't clear enough so I can tell just what the heck I'm doing wrong (if anything).

Problem 2

I finally decided it might save some hard drive space if I purged the ICQ message archives. Having done so, I am dismayed to find I now have 50 megabytes less space on my drives than before.

I clicked on the ICQ button, selected Message Archive and systematically deleted all message dialogues, recieved, sent, etc, then went to the "deleted files" section and deleted all the files in it. What gives, and how do I get my hard drive space back?

I've been using a program called "Disk Cleanup" after every online session (I also clean out the Netscape cache after every session) and have it set up to do an NSA erasure of all empty disk space as well. No dice. Where I formerly had something like 290 megs (out of 1.2 gigs) of free space, I have something like 235 megs now. (Yes, I have been emptying the recycle bin!)

Help me Obi-Wan!

------------------
Welcome to the museum of really dangerous things.
Feel free to pick up and handle any of the displays.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
c:\program files\icq\db\ or \newdb\
- How big are those directories? They contain the entire message archive....

------------------
Avon: "You really do believe in taking risks, don't you?"
Tarrant: "Calculated risks."
Avon: "Calculated on what? Your fingers?"
-- Blake's Seven, Ultraworld

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for the sound, I think it might be best to just work out what files you want for what action, then manually point that action to that file path. I can't remember how to do it exactly, but I know it can be done from changing bloody "uh-oh!" to the B5 door chime. . .
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have DB but do have NewDB and Db99b. I was able to delete the contents of NewDB, but Db99B (which very nearly duplicated the contents of NewDB won't let me delete anything while ICQ is active.

What files can I delete without wrapping the whole works around the axles?

--Baloo

------------------
Welcome to the museum of really dangerous things.
Feel free to pick up and handle any of the displays.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EEEP!!! DON'T DELETE IT!! I just wanted to know if it *WAS* the database that was so huge, and not something somewhere else that ICQ was spewing out... *hopes nothing got screwed up*

------------------
Avon: "You really do believe in taking risks, don't you?"
Tarrant: "Calculated risks."
Avon: "Calculated on what? Your fingers?"
-- Blake's Seven, Ultraworld

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't ever tried using the icq sound schemes but I am using ICQPlus, its a skinning program.
Look around http://skinz.org

oh and you may want to check in the pictures, received files, and chats directories. If you ever received something from a contact but forgot to file it away elsewhere it will be hanging around there and chat files (if you save them) can be quite large as well.
------------------
No I'm Spartacus!

[This message has been edited by Mucus (edited November 03, 1999).]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps