Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Xmas -- Blasphemy?

Author Topic: Xmas -- Blasphemy?
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope! (I didn't want to keep you in suspense.)

Here's the rest of the story.

--Baloo

------------------
"There are some upon this earth of yours, who lay claim to know us, and who do their deeds of passion, pride, ill-will, hatred, envy, bigotry, and selfishness in our name, who are as strange to us and all out kith and kin, as if they had never lived. Remember that, and charge their doings on themselves, not us."
-- The Ghost of Christmas Present (A Christmas Carol -- Charles Dickens)
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I heard another version of why it's not "disrespectful," but I forget what it is.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... I don't know. The only version I've ever heard is the fact that it's a khi, not an 'x', as presented above. I've actually used this shortcut sometimes in cases like Xian (Christian) and Xianity (I think you can figure it out).

------------------
"Is he live or dead? Has he thoughts within his head?"
-Black Sabbath, "Iron Man"

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Of course, with my superior intellect I figured that out already (cough cough), but does this make X!! a new swear word?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... Should people start worshipping Jesus X? :-)

------------------
Commodore TSN of USS Valkyrie, first and only known recipient of the I Might Be Giant, Too award
(scroll down a bit in this thread to see what I'm talking about)

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looked up word, didn't find it, gave up.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

[This message has been edited by Kosh (edited December 02, 1999).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOT Blasphemy???

I'll have to stop using it, then.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Ah, it's not goddamn blasphemy?

Malcolm Christ?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Hm... Perhaps this is a better explanation for the superpowers of Charlie X... :-)

------------------
"Gee, do they still make wooden Christmas trees?"
-Linus van Pelt, A Charlie Brown Christmas

RW
Member # 27

Hm, Jesus's superpowers were never proven from an objective point of view so I cannot ossibly X-ept them, scientifically. Pardon the play on words (play on letters?)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Does this make The X Files a religious show? :-)

------------------
"Gee, do they still make wooden Christmas trees?"
-Linus van Pelt, A Charlie Brown Christmas

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not from what I've seen. They almost never ask for money.

------------------
"If knowledge is power, then willful misinformation is the work of the Devil."
-- Barbara "the man who sought Liberty's talents" Mikkelson
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

RW
Member # 27

On the other hand, the X-Files does concentrate on strange phenomena. And for some people it is a way of life. And it has the terrible "I want to believe" thing. So it's kind of religious, but not christian.

RW
Member # 27

For the Americans: the above is a joke.

joke.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps