Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Hands Up, Monty--We've Got You Surrounded (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hands Up, Monty--We've Got You Surrounded
Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
US Navy To Bomb Tip Of Scotland

Thursday, December 16, 1999
EUROPE TODAY
BRITAIN by IAN MARKHAM-SMITH

The United States navy is to bomb a remote Scottish beauty spot with live ammunition after being banned from its Caribbean firing range.
The navy was forced to pull out of its base in Puerto Rico after accidentally killing a security guard in April.
Ships and planes will descend on Cape Wrath, the northwestern tip of Scotland within weeks.
A taskforce headed by the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower includes two guided missile cruisers, four guided missile destroyers and two frigates. The ships will have a complement of 8,360 crew.
They will be allowed to drop high-explosive bombs, and fire shells and missiles at the tiny island of Garvie and at a restricted area on the mainland for several weeks.
The manoeuvres have caused outrage in Scotland. Scottish National Party leader Alex Salmond said: "America has an abundance of its own natural coastline. I would have thought their navy could have practised there."
The Scottish Green Party's Robin Harper said: "It is completely preposterous. The United States navy has a terrible record for incompetence. So why are they coming to blast Scotland?"
The navy was forced to abandon its base on the Puerto Rican island of Vieques after a Marine corps jet dropped two 227kg bombs off target, hitting an observation tower. Islanders occupied the site and demanded a halt to the use of live explosives.
Just a month later, a Marine fighter jet accidentally fired 263 armour-piercing shells loaded with depleted uranium into the range, breaking several laws.
The navy had used the range on Vieques, between Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands, for live firing for 58 years.
President Bill Clinton is desperately trying to negotiate a return. But while talks continue, the US has been allowed to use Cape Wrath.

------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHOOHOO!!!!! oops, i mean.......

Kidding ya really, but hey, why can't the US use their coastline? Because they are afraid of killing their own people? So the logic follows that it's okay to kill a foreigner? riiiiight........

The U.S. has a naval testing ground off Vancouver Island in British Columbia. In a recent dispute between the US and British Columbia over fishing rights, the BC Government has attempted to close the site.........

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Kidding ya really, but hey, why can't the US use their coastline? Because they are afraid of killing their own people? So the logic follows that it's okay to kill a foreigner? riiiiight........"

Correct. Nations have an obligation to protect their own citizens only.

How about all these simulations end and someone starts a real war?

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Ou tou kratountos h� polis nomizetai" - Creon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is so wierd, it's hard to tell if it's even real! *L*

------------------
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the 'net, and he won't bother you for weeks.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds rather odd. I suspect the Scottish government has granted permission to the U.S. to use those targets in exchange for some sort of consideration (perhaps monetary). I think I might want evidence that the U.S. Navy had resolved its problems regarding the errors that prompted the change before allowing them to drop live ordinance in my neighborhood. Perhaps Scotland was offered such assurances, but I wouldn't plan any field trips to the bombing range's vicinity while they were in use.

--Baloo

------------------
You can't seriously want to ban alcohol. It tastes great, makes women appear more attractive, and makes a person virtually invulnerable to criticism.
--Mayor Quimby
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And poor old Monty's just gone back up to Scotland. If he doesn't respond when uni starts again in January, we know what's happened...

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noooooo please - don't bomb Scotland... I'm sure someONE or someTHING i.e. wildlife use that Island... I would like to go to Scotland one day - I don't want to see a diseased coastline dotted with undetonated US ammunition...

------------------
"Its a CLOCK!" - Sisko, "Dramatis Personae" DS9.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I love the great grasp of international geography every American citizen is blessed with. Of course, Andrew's from Australia, so he has even less of an excuse.

Okay, anyone know the definition of an island? Okay...

Now, anyone want to describe Scotland to me?

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

[This message has been edited by PsyLiam (edited December 17, 1999).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Andrew was refering to the fact that, as per the news story above, the actual target range is located on a small island just off the coast of Scotland.

------------------
"The demon was an idea, the demon is awake. Scratch mark left across the surface of your mind. This hour now upon us, the hour has now arrived."
--
Soul Coughing

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably just some rock sticking out of the water, or something. I wouldn't think they would bomb an area w/ a bunch of animals in it. The SPCA would have a collective aneurysm...

------------------
"Back in the 14th century, stair-stepping to the oldies was not considered manly."
-John Scalzi, on the longbow as the best weapon of the second millennium

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmm Liam... *tsk* thanks Sol - of COURSE I was reffering to the small island of the coast they will/have bombed... never EVER put me in the same basket as an American - ESPECIALLY about Geography... I LIKE geography... sheesh.

Quick quiz...

What is the capital of... the Seychelles - don't look at a map now...
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Victoria

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited December 18, 1999).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Doh. Sorry. Chalk it up to not really reading the first post, and just reading Andrews, and trying to be as sarcastic as possible (hey, as the only remaining Brit whose name is a deriviated from William, it's my job).

------------------

Geraldo Rivera

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excuse me for saying so but...

Typically American

If they get kick out of one country after bombing them.. they just go to another!!! and bomb them.. screw bombing their own country .. heck .. that's unconstitutional.. but bombing somebody else's land for practice.. now that's sport!!

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited December 18, 1999).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I'm still sure we lost more men in the Gulf due to 'firendly fire' form our good friends over the pond than we actually did fighting anyone.

Pumping them full of chemicals proably amounted to the rest of the fatalities anyway.

------------------

Geraldo Rivera

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and where does the British Army/Airforce/what-have-you run ITS practices?

And of course you have the French, still nuking islands in the South Pacific...

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps