Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Palestinian Justice

Author Topic: Palestinian Justice
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I generally try not to get involved in debates over Middle Eastern problems... especially things like the Israeli/Palestinian feud. In general, I believe that both sides are wrong, and both sides are right -- in different ways, of course.

But I just couldn't let this one pass by. Not only are these people killing their own in the name of "patriotism," but they're claiming to do it in the "American way."

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/nation/4020710.htm
quote:
Jarira said the evidence against the women was sound. His boss, Faez Jabar, provided few details about the trial or the people who served as judge and jury, calling them only "academics."

"They've been trained by Americans to lead the interrogations," Jabar said. "We do it in a very modern way, the American way, as one might call it."

Are these people just ignorant? Or are they complete hypocrites? "The American Way," my ass!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say we open a TV channel down there that continuously plays reruns of Law and Order and their two spinoffs.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three spinoffs.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot. Three.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that's not the American way at all. Over here, we first lock people up w/ no trial or access to legal representation of any sort. Then, much later, we execute them privately, not in the middle of a neighborhood.
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or they keep them on death row for years and years and then they debate on wether or not the persons death should be televised or not. Perhaps the could send in Court TV to make it more Americanized for you.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stupid bastards and religious freaks
so safe in their castle keeps
turn away as a mother weeps
Under the gun

DP

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely all law courts in the world are trained by showing them TV programs?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't attempting to imply that our justice system is perfect... and I'd also like to think that the perversions of our justice that have occurred in the wake of the attacks are isolated events that will not be repeated.

But I'd think it's obvious that the Palestinians in that article were referring to the ideals of the American justice system -- procedures, "innocent until proven guilty," and other little details like that. And THAT is what I took offense to. That they believe that holding a mock trial in some dank basement and then shooting the "convicts" in some abandoned courtyard.

I can sympathize with the problems endemic with the current anarchy in the West Bank. And I can't pretend to understand or be able to truly judge the reality of what those people are going through. But what they're doing is nothing more than a slightly more structured (and private) lynching. Mob rule. And what I despise is the fact that those Palestinians are claiming to perform "justice" in the "American Way."

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps