Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Got you, you bastards! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Got you, you bastards!
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/021009/80/dbhz2.html

We ourselves fell afoul of London Electricity's unique selling schemes. One day about 6 months ago we got a letter from them saying the usual "congratulations for signing up with us" routine.

Problem was, we hadn't.

A brief word of explanation is needed, I suspect. In the UK there are several electricity suppliers, some of whom started out as gas suppliers, and some even supply telephone lines as well. You get to choose which one you go with, although as far as I can tell all that changes is the name at the top of the bill, and the amount at the bottom (which changes minutely). It's absurd, and I don't understand it, but it's the free market and better than the old state monopoly, apparently.

So we start a long round of letters and phone calls. First problem is the very name the letters are addresed to, a Mr. S. Tostevin. Tostevin is my wife's maiden name, there's never been a Mr. S. They keep refusing to believe this. We eventually get a copy of the signing-up form and it's an obvious forgery. Problem is they then demand copies of her signature on official documents as proof - no way are we going to give them what they ask, all that will happen is the next (non-)caller will know what name and signature to put on the form.

So we copy the next letter to the MD of London Electricity, full of mentions of Ofgem and BBC TV's consumer protection programme Watchdog. A few days later we get another snotty, stalling letter from the customer services rep we've been dealing with - AND a roll-over-and-play-dead, rub-my-tummy-please letter from the MD, full of apologies and containing a cheque. We'd been bought off. Yes!

And we're not the only ones we know about, and obviously some people did actually go as far as contacting Watchdog! I just have this feeling, given the size of the fine LE are facing, we shoulda held out for more money. . . 8)

So, there. Americans will no doubt have their eyes glazed over by now, stunned by the existence of a thread that contains no mention of Iraq or Democrats or God. . . actually, there, they just got mentioned. Happy now?

Anyone else have any tales of consumer woe to share?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are your industries taking lessons from us....

We should charge??? [Wink]

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was buying a bag of chips from a vending machine at the Lincoln Flanagan campus and it got stuck on the little springy thingy its sposed to roll out of. i was infuriated so i went to the cafeteria and they said i could take any bag of chips i wanted from there. finally i win against their out-rrrrrageous vending tactics!

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My phone was disconnected for about two weeks due to AT&T switching my long distance plan, and in the process somehow erasing me from the system.

Leaving out the aggressive mess of having them turn my number back on, they also deemed it worthy to go ahead and charge me full price that month.

At the time, I believed the only sensible thing to do was blow up a few of their switching stations in retaliation, but I restrained myself.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How bout this. They privatised the Melbourne railways about 3 years back. The only problem was, the private contractor who did the ticketing mucked up, so people basically got away with riding the trains free for about a year. Or so they say... [Smile]
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i started a new bank account a month ago. over the course of one day, i paid $2500 in tutition money. my bank, seeing an "unusually" large transaction, froze my account. some checks i wrote then bounced. i was fined $200. took me three days to get my fines erased (damn bastards had the balls to say it wasn't their fault), and a while to get all those places to trust my checks again. i knew that credit card companies sometimes did this kind of stuff if there were unusually large transactions, but i've never heard of a bank doing it.
IP: Logged
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, on the other hand, have never heard of a bank that considers $2500 transactions "unusually large".
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You did of course, put money in the bank account before you paid your tuition right?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by E. Cartman:
I, on the other hand, have never heard of a bank that considers $2500 transactions "unusually large".

It depends how it was payed. It also might depend on the type of account. If a 17 year old kid with a normal 17 year old kids type of bank account suddenly had 3 grand go missing from the account, the bank might leap to the not unreasonable assumption that someone has stolen his cards or cheque book or something, and they might freeze it while they cheque up on him.

I suppse it also depends on how it was payed. Most accouts that students have only allow you to take out �200 from cash machines a day. Cheque guarantee cards, VISA and Mastercards normally have similar limits. But then again, pretty much everyone has a student/undergraduate account, and since everyone pays their tuition fees at the same time banks expect a grand to go out of them during September, January and April.

So if you're a business, then yeah, $2500 isn't "unusually large". If you're a teenager/early 20s person who never takes more than 20 quid out a day, then the bank might be forgiven for baulking at a two and a half grand withdrawl.

And to go back to Lee's point, we use British Gas for out electricity, and Manweb for our gas. It's crazy madness.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the train was bad enough. Now there's a man web?!
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, certainly. Simultaneous mantrains crisscrossing in all manner of directions.

Liam gave me quite the introduction.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I AM WELL ORGANISED!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is too funny. I'm not sure what to do about it.

Just look out for this man:
 -

[ October 14, 2002, 23:11: Message edited by: O Captain Mike Captain ]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He looks as if he's just planted a bomb in that car...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps