Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Gun control and the Tarot Card Sniper

Author Topic: Gun control and the Tarot Card Sniper
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before you read this, let us not go into the usual bitching and complaining over the concept of Gun Control.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/opinion/1002/11guns.html

Who is right? The NRA or the Police?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little bit of both.

However, I'd like to use this paper as an example of the "liberal bias" in journalism.

The NRA's views on the second amendment, as shared by more than half of the US, according to polls, and supported by recent Federal court decisions, are hardly "extremist," and it is highly disingenuous of the newspaper to suggest that they are.

Then there's the point that the so-called "database" would only track legally-owned guns, not stolen or illegally imported guns.

I'm not ready to believe that the sniper legally owns the gun he's using, or that they couldn't track him through other means.

I mean, we know he can't be from DC, because you can't own ANY guns there, right?

quote:
Ashcroft, you may recall, refused to let the FBI use a law-enforcement database to investigate whether suspected terrorists have purchased or tried to purchase firearms.

Good. Now let's see him refuse to let the same organizations rifle through libraries' circulation databases, and we'll have something.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On second thought, I cannot say that the Police are partially "right," because their point of view is NEVER mentioned in the article... another bit of intentionally misleading behavior. There are no quotes from police or law-enforcement officers on this subject in the article. It is merely the author's opinion, with zero data backing it up.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does seem to be an editorial, no author, of the paper aimed at the NRA. If the weapon is stolen and the owner doesn't know it yet, this "fingering" (intentional) would only cause the owner grief. I only kept track of my rifle 20 days a year, during deer season, otherwise I would think that it was locked up in a box at the top of the closet. Had this been stolen I wouldn't have know till just before making sure the aim was on.

Can you find an article with more 'meat' to it to back this one up? Are the police bitching about that subject, or just an editor? If it is just the editor he/she should be flogged....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming the data presented by the article are factual, I would say the NRA is completely wrong.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Now let's see him refuse to let the same organizations rifle through libraries' circulation databases, and we'll have something.
Why? Sacrifices must be made in the name of security. Whose side are you on, anyway? Ashcroft is obviously Pro-America. Which can lead to only one conclusion about the people who oppose him.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't know how much storage space your library has, but we don't keep track of that sort of stuff. Once someone returns an item, the only way it will still be associated w/ their name is if they have an unpaid fine for it.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ours was similar. We could look up the last person to check a book out, but only if we have a darned good reason, and The Boss has to do it. Privacy issues being the claimed reason.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to agree with Ashi-San. Privacy is a crucial issue. Now, if only they could stop the bastards monitoring internet data and stop them from tracking people via mobile phones.

Perhaps that is next on his list.

Nah....

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, it's there, right under item #101: Fighting the Wah on Terroh.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps